The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Longears

Winchester Mdl. 57 bolt play

I have a model 57 .22 short serial number in the 3800s. It has been in the family since it was new in 1927 and shoots very well.

Recently I noticed when the bolt is closed I can still push it forward another 1/32 or 1/16 of an inch (I don't have a feeler guage here), or about the thickness of a CD. I do not see noticable wear on the bolt handle wear block or on the matching part of the receiver.

Unfortunately, I did not observe whether there was bolt play with a cartridge in the chamber and I do not have the gun here to try it now. I don't believe though, that chambering a cartridge will make a difference.

Does anyone know if that 'play' is normal?

Thanks, Longears
Old January 2, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

play

Sir;
When you feel the "play" if you don't have a cartridge in the chamber it could be normal - but, if there is a cartridge in the chamber and you can still move the bolt forward you've developed some headspace. While it might not be dangerous with "shorts" I think I'd retire the old boy.
Harry B.
Old January 2, 2009, 02:17 PM   #3
eastbank

my two 57,s when cocked(cocks on the closing) do not have any movement, with a shell in the chamber also no movement. when fired very little movement and i mean very very little,. eastbank.
Old January 3, 2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Longears

Thanks

Thanks guys.

Longears