The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2009, 07:51 PM   #1
RetiredMajor

Remington 870 Buttstock question

My Rem 870 express has a synthetic buttstock that measures 13 inches from end of recoil pad to edge where the buttstock attaches to the frame. It is 13.5 inches to the trigger.

My question is can I buy a buttstock that is shorter than this? I see Speedfeed makes a youth model that says it is 13.5 inches Length of pull. Isn't that what I have? I bought my gun used so have no idea what a previous owner might have done to it.

What is the normal length of a factory buttstock?

Regards,
Major
Old January 1, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
popeyespappy

Deleted. No added value.....
Old January 1, 2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Scattergun Bob

Good Question! I dug out all of my Remington shotguns and measured and this is what I have. The average length of a butt stock seems to be 13 1/4" to 13 1/2" depending on the type of pad. that is across 5 factory stocked guns. Remington factory youth models are a full two-inches shorter than standard Model 870 shotguns. That is according to the book and to the one youth stock I have with flush butt plate.

My speedfeed 870 stocks for 870 measure length @ 12 1/2", they are considered SHORTENED TACTICAL IV Solid Stocks.

Hope this helps

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; January 1, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old January 1, 2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Nnobby45

I have two 870's with short Speedfeed stocks. The buttstocks themselves are about 12" (measuring along the top of the stock), and the lengths of pull are about 12 5/8ths. (from center of trigger to center of butt). Similar to what Bob came up with.

Wilsons uses Speedfeed buttstock assemblies on their Scattergun Techs, and lists them as Reg. and Short.

13 1/4" is about right for me (in light clothing), and all standard stocks are too long. I've had to shorten every shotgun I've ever owned.

The Speedfeed SHORT is excellent whether I'm in short sleeves or bundled up in a coat.

Last edited by Nnobby45; January 1, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old January 1, 2009, 08:19 PM   #5
rem870hunter

can you buy a shorter buttstock? yes ,you can. you may even be able to trim a little off what you have. it may be tricky,but can be done.

i think the standard lop is 13 1/2" - 14",whereas the youth and some tactical models are 12"-12 1/2". i'm pretty sure the choate pistol gip w/buttstock on my wingmaster mag is a 12"-12 1/2" lop.
Old January 1, 2009, 08:32 PM   #6
zippy13

Here are some Remington 870 models lengths-of-pull from their catalog:
14-1/4": Wingmaster, Wingmaster Classic Trap.
14": Wingmaster LW-Small Bore, SPS-T Camo Thumbhole, Express Wood, Express Synthetic, Express Marine, Express Slug, SPS Super Mag, Express Synthetic Deer
13": Express Slug (20-ga)
12": Express Jr.
Old January 1, 2009, 08:43 PM   #7
RetiredMajor

This is helpful guys, thanks! My stock is also 13" measuring along the top edge. It fits me OK in a light shirt. But, add a sweatshirt and heavy coat and it feels too long. I think even an inch or two would make a huge difference. The Speedfeed, as advertised says it has a 13" pull. That's very close to what I have now. So...what do I buy to get to a 12" length or, even a little shorter? Or, can the synthetic stock be shortened or cut off? What tools would a guy use?

Major
Old January 1, 2009, 10:29 PM   #8
zippy13

Why such a short stock... a youth gun, or what?
"Or, can the synthetic stock be shortened or cut off? What tools would a guy use?"

I'm no expert, the only non-wood stock I have is a hollow one on a Colt's AR-15-type rifle. If your synthetic stock is solid, then it might be a candidate for shortening, but the hollow ones are a different story. I'd check with the specific stock maker before trying a saw trick.
Old January 2, 2009, 03:26 PM   #9
BigJimP

I'm not sure I would recommend you cut the stock vs buy a shorter one - and keep the longer one as well - but you can easily cut a stock using a decent sized stationary bandsaw ( whether its synthetic or wood - it wouldn't matter ).

You would want to practice the cut on some similar shaped materials - and figure out how you would want to stabilize the stock as it goes thru the blade - in a jig - so it doesn't rotate or shift and jam as you make the cut. But almost any kind of a "sled" like you would make to cut round stock or something in a band saw would work / and I might tape it down firmly.

Not to imply you wouldn't - but I would remove the stock from the gun before I cut it - and certainly make sure there is no stock bolt or any hardware inside that will interfere with the cut.

I don't know how the recoil pad fastens to a synthetic stock on this gun / but make sure you have a plan on how to fasten the recoil pad to the stock after you cut it. You may need to glue an insert in there after you make the cut or something.