The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1
jckeffer

Reloading WWII 30.06 brass

I have 750 - 1000 rounds of WWII 30.06 ammunition with head stamps ranging from DEN 36 (Denver Ordnance Plant, Denver, CO) to FA 42 (the classic Frankford Arsenal, Philadelphia, PA) Some of the rounds are in stripper clips which appear to be original and some even in bandoliers. The rounds have been well cared for (stored in sealed container a dry environment with a package of Dri-it and at a moderate temperature). I've cleaned some of the rounds and fired them at the range to see how they would perform. To my surprise they performed as well as any other commercial rounds.

Now, I’m considering reloading the brass. Other than reaming out the primer crimp and reducing the powder charge to compensate for the heavier cases what other things should I consider in reloading the brass?
Old December 30, 2008, 04:45 PM   #2
AlaskaMike

They'll have corrosive primers, but that's no big deal--just clean your rifle accordingly after every range session.

Regarding the brass, just clean it up like normal and load them normally after removing the primer crimp. I've read that the corrosive primers weaken the brass, but my experience doesn't show this to be true--most of my brass is pre-1953 military and regularly sees full power loads. I have yet to have one of these cases fail in any way.

Mike
Old December 30, 2008, 06:39 PM   #3
NuJudge

Water wash the brass after decapping

Other than that, it shoot shoot fine.

You will have a primer crimp in some of it to deal with.

Mercuric corrosive primers had the reputation of weakening brass, but the corrosive Chlorate primers used until the 1950's did not.

CDD