The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 30, 2008, 09:43 AM   #1
velocette

Winchester model 12

Gentle folks, I have a Winchester model 12, 12 ga shotgun which my grandfather owned, passed to my dad then to my brother. He's given it to me for cleaning & maintenance. The full choke barrel measures 28 3/4" measured from the front of the receiver. Serial # 6188xx. Sadly it has not been stored well & has light to moderate surface corrosion over some of its surface. The action is clean & un-rusted, the barrel is clean & bright except for the last inch or two at the muzzle which is darkened.
The action it tight & works very smoothly Some of what I think of as corrosion may be just aging of the blueing as it has turned a to a light brown patina in some areas. Stock is original finish & shows the years of use.
I remember my grandfather used this gun for duck hunting back in the late
40s
I'd like to know when it was made and perhaps it's approximate value.
If any of you mavens of shotgun could help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Roger
Old November 30, 2008, 10:47 AM   #2
540mope

it was made in 1930 (serial #s 599031 - 625192)
pics would help someone give a better estimate of its value

I love Model 12 Winchesters. beautiful, well built shotguns. I have a field grade 12ga that is 95% condition and would fetch about $400.
Old November 30, 2008, 11:43 AM   #3
micachu

My dad has the same gun from approximately the same era. My brother has it in his closet these days and he pulls it out every 6 months to clean it off and apply some oil to it. I hasn't been fired in ages though. What kind of long term maintenance needs to be done on this gun to keep it operable when pulled out for some trap shooting?
Old November 30, 2008, 11:45 AM   #4
zippy13

PM sent
Old November 30, 2008, 12:03 PM   #5
velocette

Thanks guys;
The gun has no checkering, but has what today would be considered very nice wood. I guess that they don't make 'em like that any more. No pitting, just surface rust from when it was not properly stored. Perhaps 80% original blue and original stock / foregrip finish.
Here's some photos:

[iimg]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/Flowers113008024.jpg[/img]
Old November 30, 2008, 06:26 PM   #6
micachu

That appears to be a pretty good looking gun.
Old November 30, 2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Field grade 12s, best guess here is $400-600. However....

This is part of your heritage. Various relatives used it, cherished it and passed it on to you.

In your shoes, I'd have a good smith look it over, then fire it periodically. I think conservation rather than renovation is called for here.

One good friend has over 200K rounds through his trap 12, and while it's needed a bit of PM it keeps on ticking.

Both Simmons and Nu Line have tons of experience with Model 12s. You may want to talk to them.

HTH....
Old December 16, 2008, 02:29 AM   #8
hollywood marine

Vellocette: I'm the above guy with 200k plus through my trap 12. By all means shoot it! You can't buy a better pump shotgun. There are several just as good, but none better.
Old December 16, 2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You may want to look over the thread titled, "Soul"...
Old December 17, 2008, 09:40 AM   #10
jcrim007

i've got a model 12 in 20 gauge that has been passed down thru my family. it is smokin' nice for it's age. i emailed the winchester historian about it once and apparently the serial i have (don't know it now, at work) is from the 1930's and back then considered to be a shotgun to rule shotguns. a very nice (and pricey) shotgun for the times around the depression.

mine too just sits around, and i have been wanting to take it out to shoot. i even have what looks to be an origianl wood box for this 2 piece beauty...
Old December 17, 2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Scorch

I agree with most of the other posters here. Shoot it. It is a field grade Model 12, the stock has been refinished, and it is worn and rusted, so it has little collector value. Take it out and hunt with it like your grandfather and father did. You will love it as a field gun. If you are planning on shooting trap regularly, there are better guns for trap. But it's meant to be used. Use it.