The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Waterengineer

S&W shotgun?

I have recently been looking for a "gentleman's gun" for carrying in the quail tracts of northern FL and southern GA. I have been looking for something a little out of the usual, a conversation piece if you will. I certainly can't afford the "bespoke guns" of a couple of clients but having something a little unusual, that a gun person would notice, would be nice.

During my nine month hunt, I recently came across a S&W 20 ga. sxs, for a sensible price. A nice, clean gun that I would say is about five to ten years old. I have not seen one of these before and was a little surprised when I came across it. The owner knows nothing about it.

Who made S&W shotguns five to ten years ago?
Old December 12, 2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

I am not aware of any SxS made for S&W 10 years ago, I know Howa made guns for them in the Auto and Pump flavor.

However, last year at the Shot Show I got to handle the new S&W Elite Gold 20ga SxS and loved it. It has a great feel and a straight stock, nice wood, there seems to be a couple of different models and prices, the basement is about $1800.

If my heart had not been set on a Ruger Red Lable 20ga, I would have really looked at this gun for quail hunting.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old December 12, 2008, 05:43 PM   #3
oneounceload

the new S&W guns get thumbs up from several notable gun writers.......but those are made in Turkey at a dedicated factory - that was not 10-15 years ago.....any proof marks or other identifying marks??
Old December 12, 2008, 07:42 PM   #4
BigJimP

I hate to rain on your parade - but I think they're made in Turkey too. I just can't tell you they're a good long term gun but they are inexpensive.

You have the Benelli Super Sport 20ga - which would be fine / and you know I like it, but it isn't a "wow" gun. A good O/U in 20 or 28ga are certainly good guns - and you know I like the Browning XS Skeet - you may find a good used 20ga for about $ 2,000 - but new they're about $ 2,750 out here. There are some 28ga in the XS Skeet model around. But I've told you before I think that model in a 20 or 28ga with 30" barrels is a very good buy ( but easy for me to say, I already have them ..).

If you really have your heart set on a SXS - Cole Gunsmithing is a big Beretta, Zoli, etc dealer and he might have something used - but I think you're still in the $3K - $5K range for a wow gun / and don't forget most of those guns are short, with small pistol grips - and they have a lot of drop at comb and heel. Putting an ugly stick on pad to raise the comb - is going to take away from the "wow" factor a little...

If you have a good gun dealer in your area - they always seem to have some pretty good looking SXS's in stock - maybe an AH Fox ( under $3K ) or something.

I think a 28ga, if you think its enough gun, is really your best bet. Browning, Beretta, Zoli, etc all make 28ga's - and operations like Cole make up multiple barrel sets ( where you can get a Beretta receiver and 2 sets of barrels one in 20ga one in 28ga ) but you're back in that $3K plus area again.

A Krieghoff K-20 would be a " wow " gun .....

Another gun out there getting a lot of good press is Blaser - there are a number of big dealers around the country that have the F3's in stock with a full set of Briely tubes in them ( for 20, 28 and .410 ) - but I think most of them are $ 8K - $ 12K probably.

Hal Dupont is a big dealer in Florida - he might have something he took as a tradein / or something he didn't want that he knows somebody is selling.
http://www.halkguns.com/ A friend of mine knows him real well - and speaks very highly of Hal - I think he sells Krieghoff and Kolar - both real nice guns. A lot of his inventory is $ 20K plus - but talk to him and see what he has / besides its fun to look.
Old December 12, 2008, 08:07 PM   #5
BigJimP

Have you noticed how easy it is for me to spend your money ........I was just looking over Hal Duponts site - and I can't get the grin off my face...

Damn, there is some nice hardware in his inventory ......
Old December 12, 2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Waterengineer

This is what I have learned

OK, this is what I learned since my OP.

S&W has imported sxs shotguns at three different time periods. Including the time period that this gun is supposedly from.

In communication with the owners widow, she states the gun was purchased at least seven years ago, her husband has been dead for five years. She believes the gun was purchased used.

The current guns (O/U and SxS) are indeed Turkish built in a dedicated plant with "tight" QC (whatever that means.)

Jury is still out on earlier versions manufacturing.

I will call S&W next week for info and post.

Jim, yep, I'm lovin' that SS 20 ga. I smoked 'em at the club Tuesday night. I'm still playing around with the weight. Currently have 5.5 oz inside the fore stock and about 7 oz in the butt stock. In my view much better swing than out of the box.

About the "gentleman's gun". Hey, I'm in no hurry at all, I just happened into the S&W in the OP. I didn't know about them, so I was as interested from the historic perspective as much as quality. Good or bad, purchased or not, it is a pretty gun and swings nicely.

At some point I will buy something for the field in a SxS configuration just because I want one, either 20 or 28. It could be a Fox, Parker, Browning, Smith, something italian or spanish. I just want something nice, a little unusual and a conversation piece, not something outrageous in price. Ultimately, about $3K would be the absolute tops on a great day for a great gun.

The SS would be a little high tech to be carrying with the group of older lawyers and developers I sometimes find myself with.

In fact, I know where there is a SxS FN-made Browning in 12 ga. I have NEVER seen one of these either. What can you tell me about that?
Old December 12, 2008, 08:58 PM   #7
hillbille

something different in the wow category, try a pederosoli double barrell muzzleloader, not only a wow gun but it will put a grin on your own face, its just hard to tell if you got your bird till the smoke clears. can be had used 300-400 and new with screw in chokes 500-600 range.
Old December 13, 2008, 11:00 AM   #8
BigJimP

I don't really know anything about the Browning SXS's - not my cup of tea - they're just too short for me. I'll ask around a little and see if I can find out anything for you. Have a good weekend / I'm off to the gunshow this morning. ( just in case ...something might follow me home .... you never know). But check out that Hal Dupont link - there are some nice guns ...
Old December 13, 2008, 01:44 PM   #9
shortwave

FYI , 'tight' QC=`s Quality Control.
Old December 13, 2008, 02:01 PM   #10
GunnyBunny

Want to turn some heads??

I have a thirty (or so) year old Smith 916T pump that used to serve with a local prison. It was Smith's answer to the 870 has a 20" barrel and seven round magazine. I believe it's also marked Eastfield. Definitely not a gentlemans gun, but if the quail ever turn hostile, I'd rather have seven plus one than two.