The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 28, 2008, 04:35 PM   #1
vytoland

Weak Hand Training

I am right handed and have a S&W model 686 .357 magnum with a 6 inch barrel.

I can shoot "ok" with my left hand only, but I would like to be able to increase the strength and dexterity in that hand.

I would like to know what methods others have used to improve their weak hand.

thanks
Old November 28, 2008, 11:41 PM   #2
Teuthis

I would say learn to use the left hand just as you do the right hand. Practice using it as a strong hand to shoot. That is, support it with your right hand, and practice your trigger and aim. If you do enough drilling you should find yourself using the "weak" hand with considerable ease and dexterity. It is mostly a matter of training your brain to use that left hand. The amount of practice and focus it will take will depend upon just how right handed you are. But it should come with drilling. I think it is certainly worth the time and effort to be able to shoot well with the "weak" hand.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:46 PM   #3
armsmaster270

I can't remember the name but get a squeeze type hand strengthener they are cheap and will help. My uncle shot competition and he hung the old type roller skates from his gun to strengthen his arm.
Old December 4, 2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Smoke Screen

I have recently over the past month begun to train in weak hand shooting. I'm starting out just getting the aim and squeeeeeze right. After I can start to place shots fairly effectively, then I will move on to untraditional positions/ways of shooting left handed. BUT I think the most important thing to start with first is the bullets going where they need to go. Get down the basics first and build up from there.

I think its more muscle memory and practice than "Strength" training per se. Even your left forearm/tricep/bicep should be on part strengthwise with your right, so its just getting used to the opposite hand shooting.