The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 26, 2008, 06:44 PM   #1
DBski

Ruger 22/45 MK111

Thinking about getting one, what is everyones opinion on this gun? Will be used for target practice, plinking. What is a good price for it? Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for your comments. Model# P512MK111
Old November 26, 2008, 06:49 PM   #2
revance

My brother-in-law has one and it performs flawlessly. Very accurate and easy to shoot well. My only dislike is the feel of the grip, it is too thin for my taste. However this is probably easily fixed by using a wrap around grip cover.
Old November 26, 2008, 07:17 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I love mine of the same model you listed. I paid $275.00+ tax and call in for a grand total of $296.50.
Accurate, reliable and mine has had nothing but remington (JUNK), and Federal Bulk ammo through it. It is easy to tear down and clean and if you use this site...
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/
You will find that "Bullseye" has put to gether excellent pics and info to any and everything you could want including grinding off the factory grips and putting in lugs and 1911 grips... I have no intention to do that but I have removed the magazine safety and the loaded chamber indicator as well as a thorough tear down...

And it went together easy and still works... Not bad for a redneck...
Brent
Old November 26, 2008, 07:24 PM   #4
DBski

Thanks for the input. My dealer has one on order and says he'll let me have for $250 plus tax. 6% in Michigan.
Old November 26, 2008, 08:23 PM   #5
tom234

Although I wanted a grips to duplicate the 1911 I found the 22/45 frame/grip too thin and purchased a MKIII678 instead. There have been problems with pins backing out of the 22/44 polymer frame causing damage so heads up.
+2 on http://www.guntalk-online.com/service.html
I like to use Davidson's & Budsgunshop.com for price comparisons:
http://www.galleryofguns.com/Retailer/default.aspx
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...hp/cPath/49_74
Old November 26, 2008, 08:36 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think you reference the trigger or hammer pin? If so that issue was remedied long before mine was made and is also mentioned in depth on gun talk.
I also use buds... In fact my store was asking 300 for it and I asked them to meet in the middle with bud's price. Buds was, at the time 255... that is all I ask of a local dealer... "do what you can to sell me a gun and I will do what I can to buy local..."
Brent
Old November 26, 2008, 09:39 PM   #7
1-UP

$250 sounds like a screamin' deal for new. I paid $330 for mine new (Bull barrel, not base-model).

It's a heck of a gun - lots of fun and let's you blow through the ammo like no body's business.
Old November 26, 2008, 09:40 PM   #8
JeepinCalifornia

I just added a 5" stainless Mark III (bull barrel) to my collection and I love it.
Be sure to really try the feel of it; the grips on the Mark III 22/45 cannot be [easily] changed.
Old November 26, 2008, 10:59 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Jeepin' is right about the grips. However if you are a tinkerer and have a dremel and couple other tools you can follow pictorial instructions and have a MKIII 22/45 that accepts any 1911 grips you like But I decided if I want to fatten mine I will use some thing like bicycle tube or some such redneck engineering...
Brent
Old November 27, 2008, 08:00 PM   #10
skoro

Ruger 22/45 MK111

I have one with the 5" bull barrel. Very accurate. Very reliable. Doesn't like Remington bulk ammo, but then, neither does any other rimfire I own, handgun or rifle.
Old November 29, 2008, 12:59 PM   #11
Christian James

I have the 5 1/2" model. I got it for $245 before taxes and fees last year from Davidson's.
Old November 29, 2008, 03:27 PM   #12
Japle

They're very nice, accurate guns.

I made a few mods to mine - Adjustable trigger, comp, Hogue slip-on grip.

Old November 29, 2008, 08:01 PM   #13
Mr_Bullet

I sold my Ruger Mark III 22/45 and then missed it so much I bought another one! It's a really fun, accurate gun. I recently put an inexpensive Tasco red-dot scope on it, and it's even more fun. I paid $260 (for the Ruger) before tax and felt that I got a decent deal.
Old November 30, 2008, 11:38 AM   #14
CajunBass

Good gun. Good price. Get one.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 30, 2008, 11:45 AM   #15
chris in va

I had the short bull barrel MkIII as my first handgun. It jammed on hollowpoints. The cavity would get shaved off on the feed ramp. The grip was too thin and the 'lawyer doodads' got in the way.

Sold it and bought a MkII 5.5". Very top heavy, got bored with it and got a Kadet kit for my CZ. Much better.
Old November 30, 2008, 12:33 PM   #16
Smaug

The Ruger MK. series are nice guns. Elegant design. There are easier designs to field-strip, but no better designs IMO. It takes a couple times to get it down. After that, it is second nature.

After shooting them in 4, 5.5, and 6-7/8" barrels, I recommend that you either get the 6-7/8" barrel or plan on getting some type of aftermarket sighting device, like a laser, red dot, or scope. Otherwise, you'll never get the full accuracy out of them. (nice shooting Japle!)

With open sights you will without fail shoot the longer barrel models better due to the longer sight radius. So you have your choice:
  • Longer barrel = better accuracy but longer, heavier gun
  • Sighting device = better accuracy but clunky, heavier gun
  • Shorter barrel = not as accurate due to reduced sight radius
Old November 30, 2008, 01:07 PM   #17
Crankylove

I have a Ruger 22/45 MKIII, and love it. It is the 5.5" bull barrel, blued model, which I got for $219 plus tax new. It dosent quite have the looks, or the trigger of the Buckmarks in my family, but it is every bit as reliable and accurate, for almost half the price of the Buckmarks I was looking at. I also found the polymer grip a little on the thin side, so I got a little wild with mine i guess. I took a dremmel to the molded grip panels until they were flush on both sides, drilled holes and installed 1911 grip screw bushing, did some slight modification to a set of checkered wood grips off my brothers Springfield .45.
With the fullsize .45 grips on the 22/45 frame, it feels almost identical to my Kimber and Springer 1911's. (There are several website with step by step pictures) The down side to this modification is that, once you start it, there is no going back, and if you do it and don't like it, it is almost impossible to find a new grip frame for sale. That said, I love my 22/45, and would buy another in a heart beat, just wish they made a stainless version like the
Mark II models.
Old November 30, 2008, 03:01 PM   #18
ImprezaSTI

I have one and it's definately a keeper. It's been a great trainer for my shooting 1911's and helps me stay within budget. I usually shoot about 100 rounds of 22's before I shoot my 1911's and my accuracy has improved tremendously.
And this thing shoots everything well from cheap Walmart bulk packs to high-velocity CCI's. Out of about 3k rounds so far, I've only had maybe 10 FTF and even those were ammo related.
One negative is that reassembly after a field strip can be a real pain at first.