The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 19, 2007, 08:07 PM   #26
kgpcr

I would go with a .41 or a .44mag. Get a Redhawk with an 8" barrel and put a scope on it.
Smith M&P 40
Old December 19, 2007, 08:19 PM   #27
butwhat

More info on this post.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=265530

What I had in mind was a 260 - 300 grain bullet traveling 2000 fps +

45/70? 444? or something else?
Old December 19, 2007, 08:40 PM   #28
gbran

Quote:
500 S&W, 454 Casull are a couple I've been considering.
I have the SRH in .454 with a 2x Burris and 7 1/2 inch barrel. It works good for me and is physically about as big a handgun as I'd like to pack. My big problem with the 500 S&W's is not the caliber, but the physical size. They are big enough, you might as well be carrying a rifle. If your hunting from a stand it probably doesn't matter. I'd suggest .357 on the low side, but 41's, 45 Colt's and 44's should work well for your needs
Old December 19, 2007, 08:50 PM   #29
JMynes

Seems like you've decided on an Encore. You won't be disappointed! It's a great gun, and a versatile shooting platform that can be expanded to meet many other needs.
As far as 444 vs 45-70, I still vote for 45-70. Either one would get the job done. Thump factor goes to the 45-70, and T/C chambers it from the factory.
Recoil is going to be, ummmmmm, impressive, but manageable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45-70
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.444_Marlin
Old December 19, 2007, 08:56 PM   #30
butwhat

How much will I have to pay for an Encore frame? Anything special to look for in grips and such as accessories?

45/70 verse 444

Can someone enlighten me with a velocity, energy and trajectory comparison?
Old December 19, 2007, 09:12 PM   #31
JMynes

Check those links above for velocity and energy. Not too sure about trajectory, but Google is a wonderful thing. Although either 444 Marlin or 45-70 would be good beyond 100 yards, I'm thinking you're going to get significant bullet drop, and you'll have to do some serious research to know how much.
Most trajectory data you find will be based on rifle barrels. The 15" barrel on the Encore will produce somewhat less velocity, and a bigger bullet drop. Lots of shooting at different ranges would give you your bullet drop numbers, but I'd just limit my shots to 100 yds or less.
I picked my Stainless Encore up for $570 with a .223 barrel. Gunbroker was about the same with shipping and FFL fee, so I bought locally. Since then I've bought 3 more barrels at about $235 each plus shipping. The .22 rimfire barrel was a little more, requires more labor to build it.
Be careful, you'll get hooked!
Old September 14, 2008, 03:21 PM   #32
butwhat

Illinois handgun hunting regs

The only legal handguns are centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot
handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches.
It shall be unlawful to take or attempt to take white-tailed deer by the
use of semi-automatic handguns, muzzleloading handguns, or handguns
altered to allow for shoulder firing.
The only legal ammunition for a centerfire handgun is (1) a bottleneck
centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding
1.4 inches, or (2) a straightwalled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber
or larger, with no minimum case length; both of which must be available
with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability
of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

I coulda & shoulda got what I was looking for when I first posted. I was traveling & working to much to bother with it then. Now I'm busted up & in a bind for time. I will not be able to shoulder a gun this year but I shoot out of a box blind so I can use a pistol off the boxblind rest.
I was informed that there is no maximum length for a pistol barrel. & from my blind barrel length is not an issue. I can see for a minimum of 1/2 mile in any direction.
Is there any straight walled cartridge that is better than the 45/70 or 444 Marlin out of an Encore heavy rifle barrel with muzzle brake & mercury reducer for shots up to 200 yards?
Does anybody have an Ecore psitol or pistol frame for sale? Or a suitable Encore rifle barrel or Encore rifle for sale?
I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to shoulder a gun this year til in the last week.
Old September 16, 2008, 03:43 PM   #33
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I don't know, but if you plan to sit in a blind or a stand like during the earlier seasons, I wish you much luck. Handgun season is way late, long after deer have ceased to move, at least in my little patch of Pike County.

The last time I tried it, I sat in a stand that's a guarantee during firearm season. Nothing. Then I walked all the draws and looked everywhere for sign . . . . still nothing. In that part of the state, I can't figure out where they were. Did deer start hibernating or something?
Old September 16, 2008, 05:59 PM   #34
kyle663

late season

not sure where pike county is, but in central il you can carry a handgun and longgun at the same time during firearm seasons. also, i could be wrong but last i checked you cant have a rifle barrel on a handgun for il deer hunting. gotta be 16 or less. 41 and 44 mag is what i hunt with.
Old September 16, 2008, 08:42 PM   #35
butwhat

I haven't heard or read anything about a maximum barrel length in Illinois. If anybody has any verified info please let me know.

This is all I could find. Nothing on a maximum length.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Illinois handgun hunting regs

The only legal handguns are centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot
handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches.
It shall be unlawful to take or attempt to take white-tailed deer by the
use of semi-automatic handguns, muzzleloading handguns, or handguns
altered to allow for shoulder firing.
The only legal ammunition for a centerfire handgun is (1) a bottleneck
centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding
1.4 inches, or (2) a straightwalled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber
or larger, with no minimum case length; both of which must be available
with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability
of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.
Old September 17, 2008, 06:38 PM   #36
john1911

I've never heard of a maximum barrel length for hunting in IL. 4" is the minimum.

Handguns are legal in the general firearm season.
Old September 17, 2008, 07:20 PM   #37
Smaug

I just picked up a used Redhawk Hunter, 7.5" barrel in 44 Magnum with 4X Leupold that I was planning to use for IL whitetail.

However, since I don't see myself getting a second shot if I miss with the first one, a Contender would have been better.

Encores can handle bigger calibers, but Contenders are lighter.

One sweet thing about the T/C's is that since no space is "wasted" on the cylinder or bolt, it is like a "free" couple inches of barrel length. (and free velocity)

ISP - 300+ lbs. dressed!!?? Damn, I hope I don't get one that big. There's no way I'd be able to drag it back. I'd have to pass and take a small doe.
Old October 27, 2008, 06:45 PM   #38
butwhat

Don Gwinn
Staff

Posts: 5,931 I don't know, but if you plan to sit in a blind or a stand like during the earlier seasons, I wish you much luck. Handgun season is way late, long after deer have ceased to move, at least in my little patch of Pike County.

The last time I tried it, I sat in a stand that's a guarantee during firearm season. Nothing. Then I walked all the draws and looked everywhere for sign . . . . still nothing. In that part of the state, I can't figure out where they were. Did deer start hibernating or something? " Quote

I decided on the T/C Encore 444 Marlin 18" ported barrel with brake & the Hornady Leverevolution 265 grain bullet 2325 muzzle velocity. It should be about the same as the new slugs or muzzleloaders. To bad I can't use the pistol for Muzzleloader only season.
Anybody have any ideas on how I can touch my muzzleloader off without shouldering the gun? I've heard of sometype of pad that greatly reduces recoil.
Do these pads work? Any links?

Last year we had 480 acres of corn still in the fields around us. I know where the deer were then.

Last edited by butwhat; October 29, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old October 28, 2008, 01:32 AM   #39
SWMAGMAN

Please consider one more....S&W 460 Mag in the XVR or Hunter. Velocities are incredible (factory loads approaching .308 rifle energy) - flat shooting, incredibly accurate, truly a 200yd capable handgun. Recoil is totally manageable with the X frame and supplied compensator. Can shoot .454 or .45 Long Colt with the same gun for economy or entertainment....what's not to love? Need to kill a Bear/Moose/Elk? No problem - grab a box of CorBons and hurl some serious lead (say 360 grain at 1900+fps). This gun can do it all!
Old October 28, 2008, 08:14 AM   #40
butwhat

Please consider one more....S&W 460 Mag in the XVR or Hunter. Velocities are incredible (factory loads approaching .308 rifle energy) - flat shooting, incredibly accurate, truly a 200yd capable handgun. Recoil is totally manageable with the X frame and supplied compensator. Can shoot .454 or .45 Long Colt with the same gun for economy or entertainment....what's not to love? Need to kill a Bear/Moose/Elk? No problem - grab a box of CorBons and hurl some serious lead (say 360 grain at 1900+fps). This gun can do it all!

What is the X frame? XVR?
Tell me more about the X frame & supplied compensator.
Old October 29, 2008, 09:47 AM   #41
Nevertoomanyguns

Our bucks up here in Maine get pretty darn big too, I haven't yet but my uncle dropped a nice 10pt the last day of deer season back a few seasons ago with his Colt python 6" barrel using 158gr soft points. He shot it at about 35 yards we tracked it about 50 yards piled up double lunged, complete pass through. He had been running does hard he lost a lot of weight and had no food in his stomach. He still dressed out at 226 lbs. My friend dad and I have shot bucks that dressed out at 260 lbs, 259 lbs, 235 lbs, 213 lbs and 201 lbs. I have seen bucks on the hoof while scouting that push the 300 lbs range, and they are shot in the State. I hunt mainly with a rifle but carry a 6" 686 with 180gr, cast performance that I handloaded. I haven't had a chance yet but if I get a buck under 50 yards from me I will use the 686 without hesitation.

The .357 will kill them it has done it in the past I know that Global warming has made bucks stronger but not that strong. Use the gun within it's limitations. I do own a 44 mag and I take it out too but I don't feel under gunned with the .357. I can actually hit a standard pie plate 6 out of 6 with the 44 mag, iron sights, at a 100 yards but even still at that I have set my max. range at about 60 yards after that its rifle work.
Old October 29, 2008, 10:53 AM   #42
Water-Man

.357mag(using Buffalo Bore ammo or similar), .41mag & .44mag
Old October 30, 2008, 04:44 PM   #43
Smaug

<meant to start a new thread, deleted>
Old November 29, 2008, 11:28 PM   #44
butwhat

I have the 444 Marlin and love it.
I am shooting the Leverevolution ammo 260 grain 2300 fps
With the factory brake and the 18oz Staub mercury recoil reducer in the forearm it shoots like a 357.
At 100 yards I shot an 8 shot 3" group. 5 shots of which were in a one inch square. The other 3 were in an arc above the 1" group. I must've got 3 bad bullets. It surely couldn't have been shooter error?
Old November 30, 2008, 01:52 PM   #45
tmorg

I took this doe first season. 500 S&W, 400 grain LFP.65 yards
I won the gun at a firemans benifit or I probably would have bought a 44mag