The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2008, 07:20 PM   #1
DaveInPA

Best case lube for high volume rifle reloading?

What do you guys use to lube your rifle cases? I prep large numbers (100-500) of cases at a time, and I'm wondering if there's something faster than the RCBS case lube pad that works well and can be easily removed by tumbling the cases after resizing. I really don't want to have to wipe down the cases to remove the lube since I'm prepping a bunch of brass and not just a small batch.
Old November 24, 2008, 07:25 PM   #2
rn22723

I just keep a tin of Imperial Die Wax near the press, and I just run my fingers over the body of the case. Works well, and I have never stuck case with it!
Old November 24, 2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Loader9

When I sit down to do large volume of cases, like 5000+ rounds, I use Imperial Sizing wax. I have not found anything better and faster.
Old November 24, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4
DaveInPA

How is the sizing wax faster than a spray lube? I can't wrap my head around that one.
Old November 24, 2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Slamfire

I have a thumler's tumbler. This is a rotating tumbler. I found that a three pound tin of W231 will span the rollers.

I tumble my cases in the Thumler's tumbler barrel, seperate them from the media. I then decap all cases. Mainly to get rid of the media in the primer pockets.

I then lube case necks with RCBS water soluble, and drop the cases into the three pound tin. I add RCBS to a flannel patch, not too wet , not too dry, and let the can rotate on the tumler's tumbler.

I guess I can do a couple of hundred cases at a time.

In ten/twenty minutes, all cases have a thin film of RCBS Water Soluble case lube. If there is too much, I have to wipe case necks before sizing, or I will get neck dents.

I trim wet, and then I take all cases and wash them in hot soapy water. In the summer I put them into the sun to dry. In winter I put them into the oven set at "warm". I will put a oven thermometer on top of the cases, when the temp reaches 210F, all the water is gone. That takes about 20 minutes. I do not heat the oven above warm or grease evaporates off the oven onto the cases.

Let cool, and I am ready for pocket cleaning.

One HM gunsmith I shot with, he rolled his 308 cases in a towel saturated with RCBS case lube. He knew exactly that he needed 22 drops of lube for 88 cases. Something like that. Then he sized the cases. He never tumbled fired cases, and he did not remove the lube after sizing. Claimed he never had a primer misfire and that leaving lube on the cases made them last for a complete shooting year. He was using the cases in a M1a. And he shot for years doing this. Never had a case head separation.

His cases felt slightly greasey, almost like some one sneezed on them.

He won ever medal that you can get, except the President's 100 with those greasey cases. As long as you are not loading maximum loads, won't harm a thing. As long as you keep dirt off the cases. That will scratch your chamber.

Last edited by Slamfire; November 24, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old November 24, 2008, 09:30 PM   #6
DaveInPA

I'd like to not get the oven involved haha. I remove excess RCBS lube in the tumbler and that seems to work fine. I'm just looking for a faster lube method than the lube pad. I think I might try the Dillon spray lube.
Old November 24, 2008, 09:53 PM   #7
cnjaxx

I use Hornady spray, and have been using it for years. Sometimes I may do better that a thousand 308s during a sesion. I just spray um down, dump them the 650 hopper, and let her rip I have never had a problem.
Old November 24, 2008, 10:44 PM   #8
kraigwy

I do a lot of reloading, I MEAN A LOT. I have a rather large drum tumbler. For lubing cases I took a 8 pound winchester powder can. I cut a piece of carpet the lenght of the can and wide enough to cover the inside of the can. I use a dab of STP and put it on the roller for my drum tumbler. It completely lubs the cases and if you leave it in long enough it wil wipe off all the exess lube, preventing wrinkles on the shoulders of the case.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 24, 2008, 10:50 PM   #9
Big Caliber

I also use the Horady spray...Just line up the cases on a plastic serving tray (or lay 'em down) and give them a very quick, once over lightly. Then just dump them into clean container. I stand them up to get a whisp of lube in the case mouth.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:54 AM   #10
ac700wildcat

I used the Lee paste lube for a while and it got to be a pain and started rust in one of my dies. I switched to the Hornady 0ne Shot and couldn't be happier. I just line all the cases I'm going to size in an old cookie sheet and give them all a shot and turn the sheet and give them all another quick shot. Then I knock all the cases over and roll them around a bit, wait a minute, and size away. I've never had a stuck case. Just make sure to take apart your dies and clean all the old lube out if you change lubes. When you put them back together give a quick shot of the one shot inside the die everytime before you size and you are ready to go.
Old November 28, 2008, 07:59 PM   #11
singlestack45

I use dillon case lube and RCBS case slick. Both are the spray type.
I loaded 1,000 .308 and 4,500 .223 this year without a single stuck case.
I throw it in the tumbler for 20 minutes to remove the lube after sizing.