The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 22, 2008, 05:44 PM   #1
9mm1033

Any pocket ammo carriers for 38 rounds?

I carry a 5 round, 38 caliber, M36 "Chief". Does anyone have a good idea how to carry five secured extra rounds in your pocket? Maybe some kind of leather or other material case, small enough to comfortably fit inside a front pocket. Anything?
Old November 22, 2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Creature

Bianchi Speed Strip...carry six rounds. Keep that extra round for luck (or, as they say,...for "yourself"). The speed strips carry nice and flat in your pocket. And they are pretty quick to load with after you have practiced a couple of times. They will cost you about $7 bucks + shipping for two strips.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=243389

Last edited by Creature; November 22, 2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added loading pic
Old November 22, 2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Whirlwind06

Speed loader work fine for me.
I belt carry my bodyguard so the right front pocket has a speed loader.
Old November 22, 2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Creature

Speed loaders are bulky and arent really suitable for lugging around in a front pocket....speed strips are flat and dont print much.

Old November 22, 2008, 05:58 PM   #5
kraigwy

I just carry speed loaders for my 642 in my coat or jacket or vest pocket. Or in the truck.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 22, 2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Creature

Why not carry a speed loader in your front pocket since you arent as likely to remove your pants when you are indoors? Seems to me this would be the best way since your 5-shot revolver and extra ammo would always be with you.
Old November 22, 2008, 06:12 PM   #7
deputy tom

+1 for the speed-strips.I've used them for over thirty years.Flat,convenient,easy to manipulate.What else could you ask for? tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb

Last edited by deputy tom; November 22, 2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: maybe spell check??
Old November 22, 2008, 08:12 PM   #8
melchloboo

Is anyone aware of a video online of how to use speed strips quickly?
Old November 22, 2008, 08:22 PM   #9
JollyRoger

Speed strips are good. I always found even J-fame speedloaders uncomfortable to carry in a pocket.

You might also look at a 2x2x2 pouch - a snap pouch that goes on your belt and carries 3 sets of 2 cartridges. It is not a dump pouch, but rather lets you unsnap and fold the covering flap behind the cartridge section, which is constrained from moving beyond about 30 degrees off vertical. The pouch therefore presents the cartridges case head up. You simply pluck two cartridges out at a time, loading two chambers at once. Once you're trained, it's faster than speed strips and not much behind a speedloader. Plus, the pouch does not look like anything gun related, and stays on your belt.

Desantis, Galco, and maybe a few others used to make these, probably still do.
Old November 22, 2008, 10:16 PM   #10
treg

It's a tight fit but a full speedstrip will fit inside a coin purse. Helps keep ammo clean, undamaged and discreet.

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.

Last edited by treg; November 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old November 22, 2008, 10:22 PM   #11
FLA2760

I use HKS Speedloaders in my strongside pocket and I sometimes slip a Bianchi speedstrip in the little change pocket above it.
Old November 22, 2008, 10:26 PM   #12
TacticalDefense1911

I dont have any experience with speed strips, but they look as though they would be slower and more cumbersome than a speed loader in a high stress situation. Speed loaders are a little bulky for pocket carry but no worse than carrying a cell phone in you pocket I guess.
Old November 23, 2008, 12:53 AM   #13
Crosshair

Do they make Bianchi Speed Strip in 45 Colt? I CCW a Derringer and also need a way to carry extra ammo in one easy package.
Old November 23, 2008, 08:29 AM   #14
MDB

Dillion makes a fine leather pouch to carry the speed strips. Slip it on your belt and you are ready to go.
Old November 23, 2008, 08:40 AM   #15
Creature

Quote:
I dont have any experience with speed strips, but they look as though they would be slower and more cumbersome than a speed loader in a high stress situation. Speed loaders are a little bulky for pocket carry but no worse than carrying a cell phone in you pocket I guess.
I have seen more bungled reloads and dropped rounds with speedloaders than I have with speed strips.

Speedloader vs speedstrip video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1gTMfYJvrI&NR=1
Old November 23, 2008, 09:05 AM   #16
stiffnecked

I've been using speedloaders with my revolvers for 25 years and have yet to drop or bungle a reload. The Safariland speedloaders are superior to the HKS as their is no knob to turn. I relegated my speed strips to Ebay. They were too slow compared to the Safariland Comp II speedloaders.
Old November 23, 2008, 09:10 AM   #17
Creature

Quote:
I've been using speedloaders with my revolvers for 25 years and have yet to drop or bungle a reload.
Good for you!

The fact remains that I have seen dropped rounds from speed loaders several times, especially during combat/stress reloads while the shooter was on the move.
Old November 23, 2008, 09:57 AM   #18
Coach

If you're just looking for something just to carry
extra ammo and not something for a fast reload,
MTM makes something called an Ammo Wallet.
They make them to hold 6, 12 and 18 rounds,
in many different calibers including 38/357.
They last forever and snap shut.
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...mmo_boxes.html
http://www.ammoboxes.com/ammowallets.html
I think the last time I ordered some I got them from
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/
Old November 23, 2008, 11:43 AM   #19
tlm225

I use both the speedloaders and speed strips. The speedloader is only carried when I wear a jacket, the speedstrips are with me always.
While slower to load with than a speedloader, the benefit of the speedstrips is that it's flat and involves far less fumbling than loose rounds.

Speed strips and speedloaders are both inexpensive. Buy both, try them out, and use whichever one you prefer.
Old November 23, 2008, 01:11 PM   #20
BillCA

9mm1033,

For speed of reloading a 5-shot J-frame it's hard to beat a speedloader from HKS or Safariland.

The downside is that round speedloaders can print badly in any pants pocket except the loosest of clothing. Some can also rattle annoyingly.

The Bianchi Speed-strips were developed and designed for police officers in the 60's. These hold six rounds of .38/.357 ammo only (sorry folks, no other calibers available). With practice, reloading can be very smooth and fast. About 3-5 seconds for most wheelguns.

A big plus is that these are flat and will ride in pockets, even shirt pockets, without obvious printing. The downside is that they are slower and they do wear out over time (years).

The 2x2x2 pouches from Galco (et al) are good for civilian CCW as they keep spare ammo close by on the belt, usually just in front of the holster. These can be quick too, but require practice. Speed-strips hold the advantage if your hands are sweaty or it is raining.

MTM Caseguard wallets are small, flat plastic carriers for spare ammo. They carry 6, 12 or 18 rounds of spare ammo very securely in a nearly waterproof flat box. The 12 & 18 round boxes can be mistaken for a wallet in your pocket.

Downside is that they are very slow. Each round is held in place by snap-fit recesses. You have to open the case and then press down on the nose of each round to release it, then move the round(s) to the gun. Great for carrying spare ammo when hunting, less so for combat situations.

A word about dump pouches
As you browse your local gun shop, look in the "bargain bins". Sometimes you can find single police dump pouch or pairs for less than $10. Be sure they have openings suitable for .357 Magnums. The better ones have a plastic insert to help keep their shape. These can be used to carry a speed-strip on the belt.

(Image courtesy of Hellweg)
The recommended method is to invert the carrier so that releasing the snap allows you to pull the strip UP out of the dump pouch. Pouches with the white plastic inserts may need the inserts removed first. Double pouches can be separated by careful cutting between the pouches. You can carry one aft of your holster and one in front.

A slightly different design shown here is also available from Hellwig of Australia.

Last edited by BillCA; November 23, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old November 23, 2008, 01:34 PM   #21
WESHOOT2

just me

While I have numerous MTM 'wallets', I prefer to simply wear another gun (or two).
Old November 23, 2008, 01:34 PM   #22
hasbro_fan

I use both HKS speedloaders and Bianchi speed strips.
Old November 23, 2008, 02:15 PM   #23
Creature

Quote:
I use both HKS speedloaders and Bianchi speed strips.
Okay...

Which do you prefer...and why?
Old November 23, 2008, 04:57 PM   #24
mavracer

Quote:
Which do you prefer...and why?
#1 safariland speed loader (no button no knob just push and go)
#2 speed strip easy to carry and less fumbling, but slower than a safariland.
#3 HKS speed loader gotta hold cylinder to turn knob some times can dump rounds.IMHO just a little better than loose rounds.

I have Safariland speed loaders for my J,K and N frames I also carry a speed strip at times for the 38/357.
I use HKSs for my 5 shot 44s cause thats all thats avaliable.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 23, 2008, 10:00 PM   #25
wjg686

I carry speed strips for my Model 60 in the double pouch on the right side of my Galco Miami Classic rig or in belt pouches made by Simply Rugged.

Bill