The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Otto Mattik

Legal specs for a SAWED OFF SHOTGUN?

What are the specs for the STOCK on a shotgun? I know the barrel is 18" (with a half inch for good measure)
but how about the stock? ANY length? Or does it have to be a "sorta" stock? Like the old Snake Charmer?
I have a hankerin for a snubby scattergun and would like to chop the stock, too.
I saw one in a movie that had sort of a club shaped roundish stock behind the pistol grip.
Anyone know the correct info?

Thanks.

Old November 16, 2008, 05:43 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

26 overall inches in length... 18 inch barrel that is it...
Brent
Old November 16, 2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Otto Mattik

Thanks hogdogs. I just Wiki'ed it and found same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawed-o...n#Legal_issues

In the United States, due to the National Firearms Act, it is illegal for a private citizen to possess a sawed-off modern smokeless powder shotgun (a barrel length less than 18 in. or 46 cm and an overall length less than 26 inches)

Any requirement to have the stock LOOK "stockish?" Or would a rounded one suffice? 26" overall, though.
Old November 16, 2008, 05:53 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You can lop off the factory one or for pumps you can do the PGO (pistol grip only) route. I do need to mention that while totally legal you are at the mercy of the individual LEO who may or may not know or understand the law fully.
A lopped off wooden stock does look "gangsta" to them. Many legally taxed short shotguns have the wooden stock cut down... Look in the NFA section here in the "hide" as they have a pic thread running and the first pic has some super short guns with the wood furniture.
Brent
Old November 16, 2008, 05:55 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

here you go...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=320003
Brent
Old November 16, 2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
it is illegal for a private citizen to possess a sawed-off modern smokeless powder shotgun
Which is why you don't get your information from Wikipedia. It is very legal for a private citizen to possess a "sawed-off modern smokeless powder shotgun." It merely has to be registered.