The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1
kymasabe

AK barrel length? How/where do I measure?

I'm curious about my barrel length but don't know exactly where to measure from.

I have a Hesse converted Saiga 7.62 with a welded on AK-74-style muzzle brake. It just occured to me today that the brake may be welded on because they may have shortened the barrel. So...I'd like to measure but don't know where to start from on the receiver end.

Help! Anyone with a standard Saiga 7.62 wanna throw out some of their measurements and where you measured from? Please!
Old November 12, 2008, 11:22 PM   #2
Crosshair

The ATF measures barrel length on rifles from the bolt face when the gun is in battery to the muzzle. If it is 17.999", it is illegal without the NFA paperwork so be damn careful.

Get a wood dowel, measure 18", and mark it. Stick it down the muzzle with the bolt closed. You should not be able to see the mark. Mark the dowel at the muzzle end, remove and compare.
Old November 12, 2008, 11:32 PM   #3
kymasabe

Well, I took some quick measurements. From the front of the receiver to the end of the barrel...I think it's the end, aprox 1/2" into the muzzle brake...is around 14.5 inches. The welded-on brake brings it to around 16.5 inches.
I tried Crosshairs suggestion and used a dowel to measure from closed bolt to end of muzzle brake and came up with aprox. 18.5 inches.
So, I guess that answers the "did Hesse cut my barrel?" question.
My front sight block is also welded in place. Make's you go hmmmmm? Curious.

I know, I know...Hesse is junk. But, This one has been 100% reliable so far with Wolf FMJ Mil. Classic. I'm just trying to learn as much about my new rifle as possible. I've emailed Vulcan Arms, (I've heard they used to be Hesse) looking for some info on the conversions. I'm hoping gas rods and gas tubes are the normal AK length in case I ever need to replace them. Am thinking of getting a Dinzag lower handguard retainer and standard gas tube so I can use standard AK handguards.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
MisterPX

Federally, your rifle barrel must be at least 16".
With that welded on brake, you'd measure from the bolt face in battery to the end of the brake for your barrel length.
Old November 14, 2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Crosshair

Oops, my bad the min barrel length is 16" for a rifle. It's 18" for a shotgun. I apologize for giving you bad info.
Old November 14, 2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Csspecs

All the saigas coming in have 16 inch or 21 inch barrels... I doubt hesse would cut a barrel, they welded the MB on because they did not want to thread the barrel thats why it is like that.