The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2008, 11:03 PM   #1
mberman09

Over and Under questions

I am looking to buy an over and under shotgun. I'm looking at the Winchester Select Deluxe Field and also the Platinum Sporting. I'm not sure which one I should get. I would be shooting skeet and clays, but also hunting dove and pheasants, I'm thinking about getting the 26" if I get the deluxe or 28" if I get the platinum.

The other thing is I don't know much about the signature invector plus choke tubes. An when it comes to over and under shot guns, especially the two winchesters that I mentioned, how does it exactly work with chokes do you have to buy double the chokes because its a double barrelled shotgun?
Old November 5, 2008, 11:29 PM   #2
bcrash15

The longer barrels would be better suited for shooting clay, but the 26" should work well. It might be more of deciding if you want a target gun that you can take out in the field or a field gun you can target shoot. The only drawback in my opinion to the longer barrels is maneuverability in the brush and extra weight, but I personally go with longer barrels on all my guns when possible.

For the double barrels, you do need one choke per barrel. Some merchants may sell chokes in twos to accommodate this though, so if you buy extras, know for sure what you're getting. One advantage with a double is that you can put two different chokes in (maybe one tighter for longer shots) and shoot whichever you want first. If I read the ad right on Winchester's site, they just mean that the gun comes with three chokes (IIRC improved/modified/full) which you use to configure the gun how you wish (or you can buy more).
Old November 6, 2008, 12:00 AM   #3
LHB1

I shoot 26" barrels on my field gun and 28" barrels on my target gun. For chokes, you only need double chokes if you plan to shoot same choke in both barrels. Only time I do this is with Skeet so I have two of those chokes but one each of the other chokes. Having two different chokes available instantly is one of the big advantages of O/U guns. YMMV
Old November 6, 2008, 01:52 AM   #4
zippy13

Hi mberman09, and welcome aboard,
The trend is definitely towards longer barrels. Forty years ago, 26-inch O/U's were standard for Skeet. Twenty years ago, O/U Skeet guns had 28-inch barrels. For the past decade 30-inch barrels have become more popular for Skeet. The reason isn't because comp shooters think the longer barrels are nicer looking, it because longer barrels swing smoother and shoot better. This is a fact substantiated by higher scores. The trend isn't so apparent in field guns because the typical hunter doesn't keep an average card.
Old November 6, 2008, 02:16 PM   #5
BigJimP

Like Zippy and others told you - barrel length is partly a question of feel, balance and the sight plane. It kind of depends on what feels the best to you.

Personally, I like 30" barrels on all of my O/U's - in all gagues - and at about 8 1/2 lbs in a gun for Skeet, Sporting Clays or hunting.

I like external chokes because I change them a lot easier - and for all of my guns, in the field or for sporting clays I carry a plastic tackle box in my vest ( 2 chokes in the gun of course ) - but a full set of chokes in the field or on the course to me is 2 Skeet, 2 Improved Cyclinder, 2 Modified, 1 Improved Modified and 1 Full. So 6 chokes in the plastic box in my vest - and 2 in the gun.

For hunting and games like Skeet where there is a lot of side to side gun movement - I like a gun around 8 1/2 lbs - with the center of balance between my hands. For a game like Trap, with less barrel movement, I do go to gun that is close to 10 lbs and 32" barrels in an O/U. But I find that gun way too heavy - and too clumsy - for a faster game like Sporting Clays or Skeet and certainly hunting. I can shoot that 10lb gun with 32" barrels in Skeet - but even though its balanced between my hands - it feels like I'm trying to swing a big sewer pipe out there as opposed to a smooth handling gun ..... But its all about feel - and what works for you.