The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2008, 01:08 AM   #1
keys85

9x18 Makarov Cast Bullets

I'm trying to find a Cast Bullet supplier who produces .364" bullets for the 9mm Makarov. I've been checking everywhere and you guessed it, they only make .355" bullets. Help.

I'm also going to size & trim some 9x19 brass into Makarov cases because I want that 9mm Luger head stamp on the case for when I leave them at my local range for reloader Joe to pick up. My local shop only carries American Eagle ammo, at $29/50rds. I could pick up some starline brass but I'm dirt poor. I would also really want to sit here and trim brass all night then go out and find another girlfriend to steal my money, so my question is (since merely buying new brass or reloadable brass ammo is out of the question) is if this method poses any potential problems. The dimensions are quite similar, but the extractor grove doesn't seem to quite match up.

9mm Luger brass is thicker, so I need to decrease my load somewhat, but can anyone give me a stout charge of HS-6 to fire form these cases? I was thinking 6 grains....too much?
Old October 31, 2008, 12:07 PM   #2
45Marlin carbine

I saw them somewhere but can't recollect. I load for a Mak also but didn't need any cast slugs for it when I was on the site. If I come across the site I'll post.
my advice is forget the Para brass idea unless you have lots of time to invest. buy some brass or cheap brass factory ammo to use after you shoot it.
Old October 31, 2008, 12:18 PM   #3
zxcvbob

Berry's makes a copper-plated bullet sized correctly for Mak. You might have to order them direct because nobody seems to sell Berry's full line.

I once had an out-of-spec Lee bullet mold that dropped bullets at .362. If I'd been thinking I would have offered for sale here in case someone needed it for a .38S&W etc. (I sent it back to Lee and they fixed it.)
Old October 31, 2008, 06:01 PM   #4
pcoliver

Cast 9mm MAK Bullets

Try MasterCast Bullets http://mastercastbullets.com/productpricecontd.html they sell them for about $35/1000 plus shipping.
Old October 31, 2008, 06:10 PM   #5
45Marlin carbine

that is the site I was thinking of. I got some .32acp (he's the only maker I could find which is why I bought from him) and some .380acp also. wish I had thought to get some Mak slugs while I was at it. they shoot as good as the Hi$ Speer FMJ I was loading. I load them fairly light for practice just to keep up my skill level mainly trigger control. fairly clean shooting, just another couple swipes w/solvent soaked patch to clean.
can't beat that for the price. Mike's good to deal and chat with also.
Old November 3, 2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Stumper

I am somewhat perplexed as to why you would deliberately produce cartridges with the wrong headstamp for the expressed purpose of messing up a fellow reloader. What? Using 9mmx19mmm brass when Makarov brass was not readily availible made sense but now that properly dimensioned and headstamped brass is readily obtainable it is ridiculous....particularly since you want it to get mixed in with 9mm parabellum.:barf:

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old November 3, 2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Spur0701

Mastercast for hard cast bullets as stated above (though I haven't used them). Lee also makes a mold for the Mak if you want to cast your own, just check Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=786209

If you can find it, some milsurp 9mm (I have some Israeli) doesn't have a headstamp on it that designates it as 9mm NATO.....that can be trimmed and used for 9mm Mak without a misleading head stamp being present. I've found that my CZ-82s throw brass so far and so inconsistantly that it's difficult to find unless you're at an indoor range.......I had bought a case of HFS boxer primed brass cased for reloading but invarably I would only be able to recover about half from each range session.
Old November 3, 2008, 01:01 PM   #8
joneb

http://spacecoastbullets.com/products.htm
http://www.meisterbullets.com/asccus...22&navParent=0
http://www.thebulletbarn.com/pricelist.html
6gr of HS-6 Where did you come up with that ? I find that faster powders work better in straight blow back actions, Tight Group comes to mind.
And yes the trimmed 9mm Luger case will have less volume than a 9x18 so there should be a charge reduction.
Old November 3, 2008, 06:15 PM   #9
45Marlin carbine

IMO you should not use 9mm Para brass - just get some Makarov brass or cheaper brass cased ammo and reload it.
some problems makeing the 9mmPara brass do - extractor cut is one. case mouth is next.
Old November 3, 2008, 06:22 PM   #10
keys85

I was being sarcastic...trimming my own 9mm luger brass and getting it mixed up would give me a headache. But the loaded American brass cased ammo is ridiculously over priced. I use HS-6 for my other pistol cartridges...although they are not blow-back designs. I have plenty of it. I see it works great in 9mm. I got charge weights of 5.7-6grns from fellow reloaders using this powder, in this pistol design, using a 95 grain bullet if my memory serves me right.

I noticed the extractor cut is different. Since my last post I did a little research and found out that nobody has had issues with this in their makarovs when using Para brass. They also told me the case mouth is a non-issue after the brass is fire-formed, and in actuality, because the brass is thicker, has a tendency to be a bit stronger and less susceptible to case mouth cracks.
Old November 4, 2008, 03:04 AM   #11
joneb

Quote:
I noticed the extractor cut is different.
Yes, but not enough to make a difference in some pistols.
Here is a pic of one Win 9x19 and three 9x18 one Federal one Fiocchi and one S&B
reloading 001.jpg
Old November 4, 2008, 07:06 AM   #12
ShootingNut

pcoliver

Been a customer of Mike at Mastercastbullets for some time, very happy with his good quality hard cast lead bullet, service, and Mike's personal help when needed. Give him a call or an email, you will be glad you gave him a try.
SN