The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2008, 04:37 PM   #1
albsch

Over Pressure ?

Was collecting some brass and found several questionable 9mm cases that may be showing signs of over pressure. I found several Remington cases where the primer is not depressed but has bulged. I am new to reloading, haven't even loaded one yet, but am starting to pick up my brass and some left over’s. I do not want to use any brass that has identifiable issues. In the photo the Remington is on the left and a WCC is on the right. Please tell me your thoughts.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old November 2, 2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Loader9

The WCC brass looks like it came out of a machine gun- note extractor marks and NATO emblem on brass. The Remington looks like it came out of a gun that needs the firing pin bushed. I'd keep both rounds and reload them. The WCC brass would be for brass I don't expect to come back home and the Remington should be just fine.
Old November 2, 2008, 08:31 PM   #3
rg1

The WCC brass has been fired at least twice as the original military loading had a crimped in primer. It's obvious that the crimp has been cut out probably with the deburr tool. Neither primer looks like it had high pressure but the firing pin marks are unusual. Watch range picked up 9mm brass for case bulging. If by turning the case in your fingers you see an obvious bulge on one side of the case wall it could have been high pressure. 9mm cases you pick up that the lettering on the case head is faint or lettering is not as deep, then the case has probably been fired many times.
I use a smooth file to clean up cases with nicks or dings in the case rim from extractors and reload if the case looks good. Discard 9mm cases if the primer "feels" loose when seating a new primer. Also watch that the bullet has adequate grip inside the case and that you can't push it deeper into the case with firm thumb pressure. I've got about a 1000 rds. of WCC 9mm brass and it loads and shoots fine.