The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Revicm

Good Skeet Shotshell for Semi Auto

Have a new 1100G3 20 gauge...what is a good cheap shell for skeet? Tried the cheap winchester shells and they don't discharge...what good is a semi if you can't get a second shot? lol! Any ideas?
Old October 29, 2008, 05:04 PM   #2
dalecooper51

I've been shooting skeet with an 1100 LT20 using the Remington game loads in number 8. I havent had any issues. I just picked up a few flats at Dicks for $49 on sale.
Old October 29, 2008, 11:34 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecooper51
I've been shooting skeet with an 1100 LT20 using the Remington game loads in number 8. I havent had any issues. I just picked up a few flats at Dicks for $49 on sale.
The game loads are fine if you're just fooling around. But, if you're serious about doing your best, then premium loads in #9 are the way to go. Comp shooters don't shoot these loads to waste money, they shoot 'em because they get higher scores.
If you're curious do a pattern board comparison at 21-yards (Skeet target distance) and/or open the crimps and compare the contents. You'll see the difference in the shot quality and uniformity between target and game loads. The same applies to the shot cup/wad.
If you want good cheap shells, then you might consider reloading premium shells.
Old October 30, 2008, 02:20 AM   #4
olddrum1

What Zippy said.
I like 7/8 ounce of nines going 1100 to 1200 fps.
Not really, I like to shoot skeet with a 410.
Old October 30, 2008, 02:40 PM   #5
BigJimP

If your shells are not cycling - clean and lube the gun ( but I recommend you do that after every trip to the range anyway ). Once you eliminate the gun as an issue - then it has to be the shells your gun does not like.

Many semi-autos will not cycle a shell that has a velocity less than 1200 fps ( or about a 3 Dram equivalent ). If your shells are at 1200 fps / try a different brand of shell - and see if they work any better / or find a cheaper shell that has a little more velocity like 1225 or 1250 fps. Sometimes the cheaper shells seem to hang up in semi-autos ( steel bases, cheaper plastic in the hulls, etc ). My Benelli semi-autos will not cycle a shell at 1150 fps ( in 12 or 20ga ).

For throw away shells - Rem gun club is one of the best, Rio also makes a decent low cost shell, Estate's are real dirty and smell like moldy sweat socks ... - check the box and see what the velocity is listed at.

Serious registered skeet shooting is one thing like Zippy13 told you - but if you're just a casual shooter, and you're not reloading, don't buy premium shells like the Remington STS - buy whatever you can find in 7/8 oz of 9's or 8's. Personally for skeet, I shoot 8's in 12 and 20ga / and I shift to 9's in 28ga or .410 . I don't think shooting 8's in a 20ga is giving up too much in terms of pattern density - but it doesn't aggravate me to shoot in the mid 90's out of 100 either / but I would shoot new Rem STS 9's in competition in any gague, like Zippy suggested - and my preferred hull for reloading ( especially in 12 or 20ga is Remington STS or Nitro hulls).
Old October 30, 2008, 04:01 PM   #6
ISC

make sure your gun likes it before buting them in volume. I've had 2 remington semisutos and neither one would cycle low brass ammo reliably.
Old October 30, 2008, 06:25 PM   #7
oneounceload

Or you could buy premium shells, collect the empties, and if you don't reload, sell them at the club to people who do. You should be able to get enough to cover the difference between the cheapos and the good ones. This will let ou shoot good ammo for less
Old October 30, 2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Revicm

Thanks for the great replys guys! I will keep it in mind next time I buy shells...still got a carton of winchesters to use up...had a box of Remington game loads in number 8 that I bought with the gun. Polly buy them in bulk next trip to the store...they discharged so well I had trouble finding them...BTW not competing just recreational and just started... love it though!
Oh I clean all my firearms before they are put away.
Old November 1, 2008, 11:28 AM   #9
ammo.crafter

G3

Best semi-auto I've ever owned.
1. Extremely important to clean the gas ports (both) after every shoot.
2. Important to clean moving parts exquisitly well.
3. I use EEZOX synthetic gun oil which goes on wet but quickly dries.

Old November 1, 2008, 12:37 PM   #10
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload
Or you could buy premium shells, collect the empties, and if you don't reload, sell them at the club to people who do. You should be able to get enough to cover the difference between the cheapos and the good ones. This will let you shoot good ammo for less
Very true, and easily overlooked when pricing ammo.
I'm reminded of a time when a comp Skeet shooter, new to the club, arrived with a huge four bushel box overflowing with once fired 28-gauge hulls. He announced that he was too lazy to count them, and gave a you-coun-'em price per 100. It almost started a riot. Normally reserved shooters behaved like kids under a fat pinata.