The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 7, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1
aeonrevolution

Quick Question on Chokes

I decided to make a new thread on my search for my first shotgun since my initial one is now all over the place.

After reading this please don't go and hit buy it now on one of these to ruin my day

So I am looking at buying an Ithaca 37. I have it narrowed down to the exact type I want, but I just want some verification on what the different barrels will entail and how they are different. For example a few are vented, and some aren't. A few are just full choke and some are modified. Below are the links if you want an image.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=111986359

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=111937147

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=111747793

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=112424468
Old October 7, 2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

aeonrevolution

Sorry for your earlier problems.

The 4th gun in your pictures is a early m37. I would not purchase it unless history is your thing.

You did not say what nitch this scattergun would cover, but a vent ribed modified choke 28" will be the best of this lot for my tastes.

I like M-37 shotguns, spent time with several in sout east asia, they did FINE.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old October 7, 2008, 11:25 PM   #3
aeonrevolution

Skeet shooting and possibly Turkey hunting, but primarily skeet.

Can you explain what the vent actually does?
Old October 7, 2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

It's job is to provide a better and more comfortable sighting plane on a scattergun. I spent so many years squished down on a stock with a plane bead sight, it takes me awhile to adjust to a rib. It is a better deal,you will like it!!!!
Old October 7, 2008, 11:35 PM   #5
aeonrevolution

Ahh okay. I thought it had something to do with the way the pellets travel through the barrel somehow

So would this sort of barrel be considered vented and with a bead? I'm ready to pull the trigger on this version since it is in such amazing shape.
Old October 7, 2008, 11:41 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

aeonrevolution

Yes, It's a very good looking scattergun, modified choke, right?

I always like a new gun in my hands, there is unlimited potential there, Congrads on the new M-37, my wish to you is as always with a new shotgun "that it will shoot to where you look every time you choose."

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old October 7, 2008, 11:42 PM   #7
aeonrevolution

No, this one is a 30" fixed full choke. Not sure what that means

Quote:
It is a 30 inch barrel with a full choke, and a 14 inch length of pull
Old October 7, 2008, 11:54 PM   #8
Scattergun Bob

Sorry, I thought it was picture # 3!!!!

Full choke 30" is a little extreme for skeet. Most skeet guns have little choke constriction, some where between IC and modified. Picture # 3 is a 28" barrel with modified choke and would be a much better choice for a skeet gun. For turkey Full or xtra-full would be better.

I know condition is important and the picture you posted is a very lovely shotgun, I just don't think it will serve you well for skeet shooting.

You might what to google Ithaca barrels and see if a skeet barrel is available, you could then have a great turkey gun and a "purdy" skeet shooter all in one!

Good Luck & Be safe
Old October 8, 2008, 08:14 AM   #9
oneounceload

most "Skeet" guns have skeet choke, which in 12 gauge, is usually .005. This puts it halfway between Cylinder, .000, and IC, .010

That picture IS a vent rib, (and a nice looking shotgun!), and while the 30" barrel isn't necessarily a handicap for skeet, the full choke most certainly is.

That doesn't mean Briley or someone else can't install tubes so you can utilize it for a variety of shooting games and hunting....

good luck....
Old October 8, 2008, 08:33 AM   #10
aeonrevolution

How much would that run to be able to install various chokes depending on my situation?
Old October 8, 2008, 10:26 AM   #11
Scattergun Bob

Good Morning

@ the barrelexchange.com under Ithaca
BE-ITH-23 Ithaca 37 12 ga. $255.00 28 in. MODIFIED, VENT RIB, 2 3/4 in., 99% original finish
This is one of my secret places for shotgun parts. If you choose to by your gun this is a option for skeet.

certainly having interchangeable chokes would be great, good ones will cost you as much as a spare replacement barrel.

Every skeet shooter has there "best" skeet choke idea and chokes labeled Skeet 1 and Skeet 2 abound, however, not in fixed choke guns. The closest common fixed choke for hunting length barrels on Ithaca M-37 guns is modified. Do yourself a favor and google shotgun chokes, you will get a world of information.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old October 8, 2008, 01:03 PM   #12
BigJimP

I would suggest, respectfully, that you need to stay away from a gunbroker or internet site on a first shotgun. There are enough problems out there - where guns aren't in the condition represented, a few con artists where you may never actually get the gun you bought, etc that you should really be careful unless you know the specific dealer on this transaction. Even in the best of circumstances - you can't see the condition of the barrel, inside the receiver, etc on this gun.

Seriously - there are a number of economic options for shotguns on the market today -especially in pump guns - Remington 870's, Browning BPS, Mossberg, Benelli, etc - and you can find a lot of good shotguns ( with screw in chokes ) thru local gun dealers, gun shows, or even some pawn shops or used gun dealers in your area. Maybe get a buddy to accompany you - and help you with the process of looking over some good guns and your options.

A good pump gun with a 28" barrel and screw in chokes will be a good all around gun to start with - for under $ 500 easily - and you'll be able to shoot some skeet, birds, etc - work on gun fit issues and have some fun. Many new guns these days come standard with 3 screw in chokes - Full, Modified and Improved Cyclinder.
Old October 8, 2008, 01:12 PM   #13
Scattergun Bob

aeonrevolution

I am a trusting soul, and I have only been a sight unseen seller not a buyer.
So Jim makes a great point about caution concerning a purchase on the internet.

I have sold firearms to other dealers on a sight inspection before payment basis. However dealing with an individual may be different.

After though, I agree with Jim, maybe a great M-37 looking for a home is in your area.

Bob
Old October 8, 2008, 01:24 PM   #14
kraigwy

Quote:
That requires two differant chokes. Skeet chokes are open. Near cylender. Chokes for turkeys are normally full chokes. I don't know if the gun you choose has choke inserts or you have to get another barrel. Brownells sells choke inserts for just about all guns, the barrel has to be threaded to accept the choke inserts but check the price of an extra barrel and compair it with what a gunsmith would charge to modify the barrel to put in choke inserts.

To determine what choke you want is a simple process. Get a large sheet of paper, draw a 30 in circle on the paper. What you want is to shoot a pattern inside the 30 inch cirle where there is no place where the target (either a clay pigion or turkey head) will not be covered. Determine the distance you plan to shoot turkeys or clay pigions. Then figure out what choke you need to keep the pellets in that circle.

The rib assist in aiming (pointing for a shootgun) wheather you need one or not depends on what you are use too.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 8, 2008, 01:57 PM   #15
zippy13

V e n t i n g
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonrevolution
IMHO, an Ithaca M-37 is a poor choice for Skeet. It's fine as a repeater, but the nature of it's loading procedure makes it cumbersome for shooting single shots. There are only 4-pairs of doubles per round of Skeet. The additional time and effort required for loading may frustrate you and annoy your squad mates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonrevolution
Can you explain what the vent actually does?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattergun Bob
It's job is to provide a better and more comfortable sighting plane on a scattergun. I spent so many years squished down on a stock with a plane bead sight, it takes me awhile to adjust to a rib. It is a better deal,you will like it!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
The rib assist in aiming (pointing for a shootgun) wheather you need one or not depends on what you are use too.
Scattergun Bob and Kraig accurately described the basic purpose of a rib; but, they missed the "vent" part.
Originally, ribs were solid, and they provided the same benefits as Bob and Kraig mentioned. The problem with solid ribs is heating, with intense shooting (like a championship shoot-off*) and/or hot weather, heat waves from a hot barrel and solid rib can distort your view of the target. "Venting" the rib supposedly reduces this problem.
*Talk about hot guns:
At the NSSA World Championships, the 250 target 12-gauge event is shot as two 125 target events over two days. Typically, several shooters will have perfect 250x250 scores and they shoot-off to determine the winner. The 1968 World Championship was no different, and it finally came down to AL Buntrock and Tommy Heffron going one-on-one for the title. After going 1050 targets without a miss (that's 42 perfect rounds of Skeet), due to time considerations and fatigued officials, it was decided to have co-champions.
Old October 8, 2008, 03:54 PM   #16
aeonrevolution

So I finally lucked out with finding someone locally that has a variety of shotguns I'm looking at. Mike's Guns in St. Charles, MO.

I checked out some nice 870's, some Mossberg 500's, 4 different Ithaca 37's, and then a variety of over-unders with names I haven't heard of before.

There was a really nice Wingmaster for $410, but the Ithaca 37 still looked and felt the best to me. Plus, it is only $245 and came in a 28" modified choke.

I hope you guys don't think I've ignored everything you've been telling me, but I think I fell in love with the 37

Maybe I'll go back on my second shotgun and get a 870. That sounds good
Old October 8, 2008, 04:13 PM   #17
Scattergun Bob

Enjoy, scattergun shooting is a great joy, and good scatterguns are precious gems.

again, I always like a new gun in my hands, there is unlimited potential there, Congrads on the new M-37, my wish to you is as always with a new shotgun "that it will shoot to where you look every time you choose."

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old October 8, 2008, 04:32 PM   #18
BigJimP

I think you did fine as well - especially since you found a good local shop to support vs the internet - and you were able to hold some guns in your hands before you bought one.

Let us know how you do with the new gun .....sometime.
Old October 8, 2008, 04:36 PM   #19
zippy13

Quote:
So I finally lucked out with finding someone locally that has a variety of shotguns I'm looking at. Mike's Guns in St. Charles, MO.
Great, it's nicer dealing with an actual gun shop than a web address.
Congratulations! May your new gun give you many years of enjoyment and service.
Old October 15, 2008, 10:41 PM   #20
jrothWA

For Skeet shooting, you best...

contact the new ithaca company: www.ithacagunUSA.com

And purchase a new barrel with choke tubes, then get a skeet choke for use on that particular range.
The Modified can be used nicely for trap and Sporting Clays and general hunting.
Old October 19, 2008, 09:58 PM   #21
kymasabe

Purpose of the rib is to vent heat off the barrel to the sides rather than rising straight up off the barrel and distorting your view down the barrel, past the beads, to your target.
You'll probably never see the heat rise off the barrel during a hunt but if you're shooting trap or sporting clays and running round after round thru the gun, she may get a little warm and you'd start to see the heat shimmer off the barrel...like a hot road in the summer. Vent rib greatly reduces the heat rise down the sight plane.