The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 29, 2008, 06:03 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

colt police positive 38

I just inherited it. I was pretty excited to have a non-22lr pistol I did not have to pay for. Was told it was .38spcl, went to the store bought a box or two of ammo. THey only go into the cylinder 2/3, and would blatantly stick out if forced forward. I assume this is actually just a .38.

Now what is the best .357 mag revolver around? Stainless obviously. Under 1000 for sure, under 500 is better. More than willing to buy an older pistol.
Old September 29, 2008, 06:31 PM   #2
RickB

Edit: I reread my post, and it didn't make any sense to me, either. The Police Positive Special was chambered in .38 Special. I think the Police Positive was chambered in what Colt called the .38 New Police, which is today known by its more common name, .38 Smith & Wesson. If that's not confusing enough, the .38 (S&W) Special is not a lengthened .38 S&W, but a lengthened .38 Long Colt.
Edit 2: The Colt Python is the best .357 revolver, but in your price range, there are plenty of Smiths, Rugers, etc. What do you want to do with it? A 8 3/8" Smith Model 27 would be pretty nice for hitting stuff a long ways away, but I don't know that I'd want to pack it in the field.
Old September 29, 2008, 07:24 PM   #3
XavierBreath

Chances are, your Police Positive is chambered in .38S&W.

Best is relative. A stainless Python is undoubtedly a fine revolver, but a S&W 686 is nothing to sneeze at. A Colt King Cobra is another tough stainless .357.
Old September 29, 2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Majic

Something to file away in your memory.... if the Colt could chamber the .38 spl cartridge then it would be a Police Positive Special.
Old September 30, 2008, 12:02 AM   #5
Wagonman

what this model worth in vg condition?
Old September 30, 2008, 07:47 AM   #6
BillCA

To clarify... Colt made two guns with similar names.

The Colt Police Positive and the Colt Police Positive Special.

The Police Positive was available in .32 and .38 calibers, with the .38 Caliber being either the Colt .38 New Police cartridge or the .38 S&W cartridge. (The .38 New Police is the same as the .38 S&W...Colt refused to use their competitor's name on their guns!)

The Police Positive Special was first available in .32-20, .32 New Police, .38 New Police or .38 Special.

The markings on the side of the barrel determine if the gun is a Police Positive or a Police Positive Special. In addition, there were two variants made - the 1st issue and the 2nd issue variants. To identify your revolver, check for the last patent date on the top of the barrel. These same patent date years apply to the "special" model too.

Police Positive first issue: 1905
Police Positive 2nd issue: 1926

You can still get .38 S&W cartridges from Winchester and I think Magtech has a load for it too.

The .38 S&W cartridge is slightly larger in diameter than the .38 Special cartridge, but it is considerably shorter. It's around the same length as the 9mm cartridge. See the photo below.

.38 S&W (left) vs. .38 S&W Special cartridge

As for your question about "the best" .357.... that will be a subject of much debate. Suffice it to say that the discontinued Colt Python is usually considered at the top of the heap in terms of quality and accuracy.

In current production guns, the S&W 686 or 620 are probably the most favored .357 platforms. The larger 627 is a 44 frame chambered for .357 (with 8 shots in some cases).
Old September 30, 2008, 11:57 AM   #7
JayDeeSacramento

Great post BillCA... taught me somethings I didn't know.
Old September 30, 2008, 03:23 PM   #8
claymore1500

The "police positive "special" has a slightly longer cylinder than the police positive, this was done to accomodate the .38spl. cart.

This may explain why your ammo is sticking out (I assume through the front).

I have a P.P.S chambered in .38S&W, It is a fun gun to shoot, Has next to no recoil, and is fairly accurate with in it's limits.
Old October 1, 2008, 09:10 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

to be clear on what I am looking for:
1.no safety
2.stainless/nickel
3.extremely reliable and simple
4.2-3" barrel
5. Single and double action would be great, like my 1895 nagant, but not necessary.
6.No interest in ever spending $1500 on a pistol. $1000 is my absolute limit

Not target shooting with this thing. CCW piece and general side arm. 4 inch groups at ten yards works for me.
Is my blued colt worth anything as a trade, or should I just toss it in the back of the safe.
Old October 1, 2008, 09:15 PM   #10
absolute0

Quote:
Now what is the best .357 mag revolver around? Stainless obviously. Under 1000 for sure, under 500 is better. More than willing to buy an older pistol.
This is to accomidate the 2 boxes of 38 special ammo you bought for your inherited Colt?
Old October 1, 2008, 09:26 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
This is to accomidate the 2 boxes of 38 special ammo you bought for your inherited Colt?
Meh, I do consider myself a shooting enthusiast. I have been considering a 357 revolver for sometime, but didn't make the purchase b/c I figured the 38 special at no cost would do just fine and I knew my Grandmother would eventually give it to me(was my grandfathers). It wasn't his favorite gun or anything, she just thought I would be interested in what she considered a cowboy gun and sold the rest. 38 S&W though, not going to cut it. I will probably keep it, looks like $375 max value on gunbroker. No reason to take a chance ******* off my Grandma for $400. I doubt she would care though.
Old October 5, 2008, 06:02 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

no one can give me a good option for a 2" SA/DA 357 stainless/nickel revolver under $1000 that is super reliable?
As long as it can hit say a 4 inch circle from a vice at ten yards that is accurate enough. S&W has a "night guard" that looked intriguing and a model 60 and 642 also. I have read a few times about an internal lock on S&W that people are not happy with though. 642 does not have it. I don't need anything fancy. Something that will not rust if wiped down after use, even if not in a controlled environment, and will fire every time I pull the trigger.
Old October 5, 2008, 06:40 PM   #13
Scorch

Buy a Ruger SP101 or a GP100. You will not find a stronger revolver for your needs.
Taylor Machine
Old October 6, 2008, 04:26 AM   #14
BillCA

You spec'd a reliable stainless steel .357 snubby (2-3") with SA/DA capability preferred. If your specification of "no safety" means no internal lock, you'll have to look to the used-gun market or Ruger to avoid the lock.

Some of your options are:
S&W Model 60 .357 Magnum - the Chief's Special Stainless is a traditional 5-shot 2-1/8" barreled snubby on S&W's J-Magnum frame.

The Lightweight Model 340PD weighs only 12 ounces in the hammerless "Centennial" profile.

You can also buy the 649 Bodyguard with a shrouded hammer that gives you the SA option over the Centennial. Weight is 23 oz and it's all steel to help reduce recoil.

The larger L-Frame 686-Plus is a 7-shot .357 Magnum with a 2-1/2 or 3" barrel (4 and 6" barrels also available). This gun replaced the venerable Model 19/66 K-Frame guns and have been well received. I'd suggest getting the 3" barrel for balance.

Ruger's SP-101 is their 5-shot small frame gun, however it's about 15% larger than a comparable S&W, but cheaper. It can also be had with a 3-1/16" barrel.

In the used-gun arena, probably one of the best guns you can find would be a 2-1/2" Model 66 .357 Magnum. You will pay a hefty price (around $500 to $650) for it because of demand for this model. Here's one of the last versions produced.

Notes:
A: Prices on the S&W website are MSRP. Deduct 15-20% for typical retail prices.
B: S&W Stainless steel models begin with a '6'.
C: S&W Scandium alloy models begin with a '3'
D: S&W Aluminum alloy models begin with a '4'
E: Lightweight .357's below about 16oz can be unpleasant to fire with .357 Ammo
Old October 6, 2008, 07:29 AM   #15
Smaug

Before you buy anything, buy some ammo for the family 38 and give it a shot. You may just fall in love with that old-time charm. There's something about an old family gun that is hard to beat. The longer you have it, the more it'll mean to you, so by all means, keep it.

I just bought a Ruger SP-101 Friday in 357 Magnum, with the 3" barrel. It has a very good reputation for being rugged, reliable, and accurate. The factory trigger is said to be not as nice as S&W, but lots of folks have smoothed them up themselves with a little polishing and installing Wolff spring. I think I'm going to try that too, once I get used to it.