The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2008, 08:54 PM   #1
mtnwoody

Savage Fox Model B 16g?

My wife just inherited some guns from her father's collection. One is a side by side shotgun. It is a Savage Fox Model B 16g.... I have not been able to find out any information on it. No serial # Anyone have some information for us? Thanks!
Old September 23, 2008, 10:36 PM   #2
Rube

Here's a start

http://www.chuckhawks.com/fox_B_shotguns.htm

Rube
Old September 23, 2008, 11:09 PM   #3
mtnwoody

Thanks Rube. Just what I wa looking for. At the end of the write-up it says an image of the gun can be seen at the product information page. I looked for it but no luck...I'll keep looking. Great site!

Last edited by mtnwoody; September 23, 2008 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 26, 2008, 01:03 PM   #4
deercop

Fox Model B. I just bought a 12 gauge from my father in law. There's not just a ton of information about them out there. From what I've been able to determine, the smaller the gauge (higher the number), the value increases. The older, the better.

Prior to 1968, Gun Control Act, Savage/Fox didn't have serial numbers, except on a very few after WWII. On the bottom of the receiver, in front of the engraving of either ducks or a fox, is an oval with a letter and number in it - disregard the number. The letter signifies the year it was made, if made from 1949 on. For example, "A" means 1949, mine is a "L", meaning 1960.

Old September 26, 2008, 01:05 PM   #5
deercop

The Fox Model B is also functionally and mechanically the same as the Stevens 311. The Fox is a higher fit and finish version. No relation mechanically to the old A.H. Fox shotguns. Savage bought the rights to use the Fox name.