The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2008, 09:56 PM   #1
hoytinak

new/used Bersa Thunder .380

Just acquired this thing for $100, don't really know what it's worth but a buddy needed some money and wouldn't take a loan...wanted to give me something so he gave me this since he knows I'm a "gun nut" . I've got some cleaning up to do on it but not too bad IMO. Looking at it I noticed the rear sight is adjustable..what's the point of adjustable sights on something this small? Those of yall that have one how do you like it? Anything I need to look real good at or watch out for on this thing? Thanks

Old September 11, 2008, 10:25 PM   #2
CortJestir

Not too shabby for a hundred bones. Congrats! I just saw one at a local dealer today for $199 used, but it was matte black. I think they retail at around $300. Bud's had the duotone for $262 delivered. So you made out pretty good!
Old September 11, 2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Auto426

I've got the one with the matte nickle finish on the slide and love it. It seems pretty accurate for such a small pistol, and it's a great bargain for the price.

My Grandfather gave it to me, because he didn't know what a decocker was and thought the gun would fire if you put on the safety. He's more of a single action revolver gun and rifle person anyway, and just couldn't get used to a semi.
Old September 11, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytinak
Looking at it I noticed the rear sight is adjustable..what's the point of adjustable sights on something this small?
Once you shoot it and see how accurate it is, it will all come together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytinak
Those of yall that have one how do you like it? Anything I need to look real good at or watch out for on this thing?
I love mine. I was surprised. The only thing wrong with mine is that the recess at the inside, top, right was not dug out quite deeply enough, and it interferes with the linkage that goes from the trigger to behind the grip.

I haven't heard that about a newer one; mine is apparently an older one.

If you really want to get into it, check out www.bersatalk.com.

Here's a couple shots of mine:

Mine needs a good cleaning too. The previous owner oiled the hell out of it, as he didn't shoot it often. I left it dirty, and have shot probably 150 rounds through it. No problems yet. Well, one stovepipe when I limp-wristed with my weak hand....
Old September 12, 2008, 01:08 AM   #5
cjw3cma

I'd say you got a good deal for the non-loan. My 380 was a $218 on GunBroker a while back before they became (more) popular; it was a near new in box as someone bought it and then after a single trip to the range they sold it, not wanted to have a gun any longer. It is technically my wife's gun but I've been known to carry "her" when the attire is more formal than jeans and flannel.
Here are a couple of pics:

Old September 12, 2008, 01:24 AM   #6
michael t

http://bersatalk.com over 3700 members and more joining every day.
You stold that Thunder now come visit.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old September 12, 2008, 10:11 PM   #7
Ivory Grips

I Love The Bersa 380!

I love this gun, especially in nickle finish. I truly believe Bersa took the basic Walther PPK design and improved it. Better trigger pull. easier take down, lighter in weight, AND NO PPK HAMMER BITE! Don't get me wrong, and with all due respect, the PPK is a great gun, but the Bersa gets my buck$!

Ivory
Old September 13, 2008, 09:00 AM   #8
B.N.Real

LOL.

Great luck finding that deal,hoytinak.

Outstanding pistol by 98% of the accounts on the internet.

The $200 (minimum)you saved buys alot of 380 ammo!
Old September 13, 2008, 09:35 AM   #9
PSP

Quote:
love this gun, especially in nickle finish. I truly believe Bersa took the basic Walther PPK design and improved it. Better trigger pull. easier take down, lighter in weight, AND NO PPK HAMMER BITE! Don't get me wrong, and with all due respect, the PPK is a great gun, but the Bersa gets my buck$!

Not meant to rain on your parade but;

Bersa trigger pull is listed on the web site as 8-13 and 5-7 lbs. My PP is 10 and 4 lbs.

As to the take-down, that may be a matter of opinion. My Walthers are very easy to take down, whereas my Bersa always caught here, wouldn't fit there... a most annoying gun at times.

Lighter weight? I think they are both 23 ounces.

The hammer bite thing is a trait of the Walthers.

As to price, the Bersa is cheaper, no question, but I sold my Bersa and kept my PP and PPK/S because of quality issues. IMHO you get what you pay for. In hoytinak's case, $100 is a price nobody could pass up. Even I, (no fan of the Bersa .380), would have been tempted and probably bought.
Old September 13, 2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Hafoc

I've always had trouble with that "You get what you pay for" line. I feel like asking the salesman "Oh, so I get to come along on your vacation to Jamaica?"

I had a Walther PPK and a Bersa Thunder. The Walther was beautifully made, polished like a gem, but the Bersa felt like it had a shorter DA pull, an equally crisp and lighter SA pull, and no hammer bite. The Bersa feels lighter with its alloy frame, but it is also larger; I've noticed that size influences my perception of how light something is, perhaps because it also influences what I expect it to weigh.

I had another Bersa with a terrible trigger pull, both SA and DA. So you definitely want to check them out before buying, if you can. But that's true of anything.

Which was better? The PPK was more compact, for concealed carry, so maybe it was better as a practical matter. But if I was going to actually shoot it, I think my "good" Bersa was the better gun.
Old September 13, 2008, 10:33 AM   #11
Smaug

Which is equivalent size to the Bersa 380, the PP or PPK? I thought it was the PPK...

I haven't ready any bad things about the PP. Just want to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.
Old September 13, 2008, 10:36 AM   #12
ElectricHellfire

Good score! I bought my two tone about 5 years ago for $199 NIB and I would not sell it for much more. Great package, reliable and easy to carry.
Old September 13, 2008, 11:44 AM   #13
PSP

Quote:
Which is equivalent size to the Bersa 380, the PP or PPK? I thought it was the PPK...

I haven't ready any bad things about the PP. Just want to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.
That's a good question.

The PPK and PPK/S is smaller in every dimension than a Bersa. Some by a good bit. They weight about the same.

The PP is a closer comparison to the Bersa.
The PP is less than 1/10" longer overall, but the barrel is almost 4/10" longer than the Bersa.
The PP is shorter than the Bersa.
The PP is narrower by almost 1/4".
They weigh the same, but the Bersa is alloy while the PP is all steel.

If I hadn't sold my Bersa I'd post a pic of them together. The Walthers, especially the PPK, are really very compact in size. The Bersa is more comparable the the largest Walther, the PP, or even to the Beretta 85.

Last edited by PSP; September 13, 2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old September 13, 2008, 01:23 PM   #14
Logs

You will love the gun, very accurate and lightweight.

$100 is a good buy.
Old September 13, 2008, 02:08 PM   #15
Keltyke

What a great deal! I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that I absolutely LOVE. Small, lightweight, and accurate, too. It's a lot of fun to shoot at the range and, with +p hollow point loads, not too under-powered for carry, either. You can put 7 rounds in a 4" circle in less time than it takes to think about it. There is little felt difference in the first DA trigger pull and the rest in SA.
Old September 23, 2008, 12:10 AM   #16
ballardw

I had one of the earlier Thunder .380's and found it much more accurate than I expected. I traded because I couldn't get used to the backwards safety having had 30+ years of 1911 practice and didn't want to confuse myself.

The adjustable sights are probably still part of the GCA of 68 legacy for imports. They get considered more 'sporting' than fixed, which along with 'target grips' get them past the import rules for small pistols.
Old September 23, 2008, 07:30 AM   #17
Smaug

Saw a PP at a gun show this weekend

After reading PSP's post about it, I really noticed this one at the gun show. They wanted $450 for it, it was probably about 85% condition. Just beautiful. I have to admit, the slide operation was smoother than my Bersa. It is thinner, the sights are good...

It is just one hell of an elegant pistol overall.

But the $450 price tag along with the 32 ACP chambering turned me off of it.
Old September 23, 2008, 09:29 AM   #18
ImDisaster

My Bersa .380 would outshoot my brother's Walther PPK. It had a better SA trigger and much, much better DA trigger. I suspect the PPK, with it's stainless body, would last longer, but both would probably last a lifetime with the limited amount of shooting we did with them.
Old September 23, 2008, 11:44 AM   #19
Keltyke

Quote:
I traded because I couldn't get used to the backwards safety
I never use it as a "safety". I load the mag, rack one into the chamber, use the "safety" to drop the hammer, then flick it back up. Then I replace the round in the mag. Since the first trigger pull in this condition is DA, that acts as a safety. I always carry mine in a holster so the trigger is completely covered.
Old September 23, 2008, 03:14 PM   #20
lenziggy

I have a Bersa 380 Thunder. Adjusting the rear sight just slightly brought the hits to the center of the target. Yes it is a usable feature.
Len