The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 28, 2008, 08:52 PM   #1
chris in va

Holster modification question

I want this...

...to look like this, with the separated belt loop.

I seriously doubt a tailor would do it, but I was thinking just clip about 1/2" of the thread so it unravels, then tie it off at the edge of the opening. Ideas?

BTW it's a lot more comfortable like that.
Old August 28, 2008, 09:20 PM   #2
LHB1

Chris,
You could probably cut/unravel the thread but then it would need to be sewed tightly at each end of the loose area. Is there a Tandy Leather store near you? They would have the large needle and waxed VERY HEAVY sewing thread to do the job right. No guarantees on the results or satisfaction afterwards but this mod would appear to be reversible if you didn't like it later. I have a habit of making one (non-reversible) mod too many when I start changing things. Know what I mean?
Old August 29, 2008, 03:21 AM   #3
chris in va

No Tandy, heck we barely have a bowling alley. Looks like I'll just do some experimenting in the hopes of better comfort.
Old August 29, 2008, 05:17 AM   #4
ludwig1138

I had my IWB holster modified to my liking by a shoe repair shop. They have the machines to do the sewing. Told the guy what I needed and it was ready the next day.

bill
Old August 29, 2008, 05:58 AM   #5
BHP9

There is another option.

Find a Tack shop or Harness maker and have them re sew it.
Old August 30, 2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Bluegrass Holsters

Chris....

Not sure entirely from the photos what you are wanting, but I would be happy to work with you trying to get something accomplished. Send me your phone number through my website or PM here and I will be happy to contact you.

Take care
Old September 1, 2008, 12:57 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...doubt a tailor would do it..." You're right. Tailors work with cloth, not leather.
The second picture doesn't show much of anything. Can you post a better picture of what you want?
"...No Tandy..." They do mail order. I don't think I'd bother for a one time modification though. Sewing leather has a learning curve. Do not cut anything. Leather isn't sewn like cloth.
Go to a tack repair shop(Not just a tack shop. They sell tack and can be a bit daft. It'd be best to talk to the guy who repairs tack at your local race track. Those guys work at fixing leather and usually aren't easily scared by a holster. Buddy of mine did it for years. Very little I asked him about phased him. Wouldn't give me his industrial sewing machine when he packed the business in though, but he did sew some thick canvas for me.) or shoe repair place(takes a lot to phase those guys too).
It's be less fuss to just buy the holster you want than it would be trying to modify a holster though.