The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 15, 2008, 02:18 PM   #26
45_Shooter

Thanks Hellfire, honest experiences are worth much more than any postulating. I appreciate you willing to share very much.

I remember as a younger man the feelings that came from the first hunting experiences I had, I'll probably never forget those feelings, and to this day I have the utmost respect for the animals I hunt because of that. I can only imagine the internal turmoil that results from the taking of another human life, and admire those willing to share for the benefit of others.
Old August 15, 2008, 02:19 PM   #27
Alleykat

Quote:
Prior to Ohio passing the Castle Doctrine, you had a duty to retreat until retreat was no longer an option. At that point, you could defend yourself.
Really hard for me to relate to that mindset! OTOH, maybe that's why those Buckeyes do so great in their bowl games?!
Old August 15, 2008, 03:28 PM   #28
Stone Cold

I understand. It's just that this kind of talk is what could be used against someone in a legitimate SD situation.

Now as for Ohio:

Do you know why Kentucky doesn't fall into Tennessee? Because Ohio sucks.
Old August 15, 2008, 08:01 PM   #29
LICCW

One of the reasons I have a dog is as another layer of defense. They warn you at the first sign of trouble, they'll defend you to the death, and they are damn to have around if it hits the fan.
Old August 15, 2008, 08:41 PM   #30
Oldjarhead

Hellfire, as a fellow Texan, I tell you I am man of few words. You did what had to do. You did the only thing you could do. Few men who love their mothers, would do little different than you did. nuff said.
Old August 15, 2008, 11:59 PM   #31
TCman

Quote:
You would have been tried for murder in Ohio.
Then what would you have done in this situation. Since I started working for the local PD i realize help can take a while to get there.

I would rather be tried and sit in a jail cell then be dead.
Old August 16, 2008, 02:36 AM   #32
Sixer

The guy was cracked out and chasing you around your own property with a bayonet! I would consider that a life threatening situation. Forget about the front door issue. Any jury that would convict an individual under those circumstances is insane.
Old August 16, 2008, 03:40 AM   #33
#20fan

When I was 15yrs. old I witnessed my father shoot and kill a armed robber who was standing no more than 3ft. from where I was sitting.
My parents managed apartments back in the 60's. The rental office was the converted 3rd bedroom of the apt. we lived in. There was a door to the outside and an interior door to the hallway that led to our living quarters. My Mom had a habit of leaving the interior door open.
This was on a Sat. evening, my Mom was at the desk doing paper work as it was the 1st of the month and people were paying thier rents. I was sitting in a chair to the left side of the desk against the wall. From there I could see the office door and also down the hall. I imagine I was talking about some 15yr. old meaningless crap to her.
The office door opened and a guy walks in with a big silver gun in his hand pointing it at my Mom and then at me, back and forth demanding the money.
My Father who was in their bedroom heard what was going on. He got his Mod. 10 .38cal. and started down the hall. I could see Dad out of the corner of my eye and remember thinking that I could not look his way or I might tip off the BG. Just before my Dad reached the open door he said in a loud voice "Honey". This made the BG look and move his gun in that direction.
My Dad fired twice striking the BG in the chest. I was close enough to hear the BG groan, cuss and run out the door. He died about 50yds. down the street.
I don't know for sure that this incident caused it but my Dad turned to alcohol and my parents were divorced within a year. He killed himself some years later. You decide.
I don't know what kind of ammo my Father had in the gun, probably just lead round nose. The .38 was not an instant stopper but it did the job. It's also thr reason I carry a .45.

My own situation, I just fired that'a ways 'cause everyone else was!
Old August 16, 2008, 03:56 AM   #34
shortwave

Stone Cold, your law statements about Ohio are true unless you are Cols. Ohio- chief of police in which case your allowed to fire through your house window and shoot burglar attempting to break in. The rest of us aren`t as fortunate
Old August 16, 2008, 06:19 AM   #35
thallub

Quote:
So has anybody out there ever had to actually use there gun in self defense
Yes, twice.
Old August 16, 2008, 06:59 AM   #36
skydiver3346

Tried for murder in Ohio??

Uh, remind me not to live in Ohio.

Guess its true what they say, "It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".