The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2008, 11:32 AM   #1
mikenbarb

Does anyone reload shotgun shells in a single stage press?

Im the proud owner of a shotgun reloading setup for a single stage press and wondering if anyone loads that way anymore. Im thinking to use this for my slug and buckshot loads and wondering if they work good or not? If anyone has one and would like to share some info on it, I would appreciate it.
PS- I have a couple MEC loaders but think this will be better for small custom loads and I would leave one press dedicated for it.

Last edited by mikenbarb; July 27, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old July 27, 2008, 02:34 PM   #2
darkgael

Single stage

Mike: I do. In fact, for some of my reloading, I use the old Lee loaders. What do you want to know? The single stage that I use is an RCBS 12 ga. die set for a Rockchucker press. For some of my 12 ga. reloading, I don't use a press at all.
Pete
Old July 27, 2008, 03:28 PM   #3
armedandsafe

I reload on the Lee Load-All. Of course, I'm reloading 2 1/2 inch 16 ga brass hulls, so perhaps I'm not qualified to answer this post.

I've had good luck with it and Lee, as usual, was very helpful. Obviously, I'm not using the primer feeder nor the crimp stations. One does have to be a little precise in positioning the primers on the priming ram, as these hulls use small pistol primers.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old July 27, 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
mikenbarb

Im using a Herters brand and its got alot of parts to it. Im sure this was made for paper shells but will it work with plastic ones also? It has 2 brass rings with fingers that I think are wad guides and a deprime pin and a sizer, Wad column gauge and 2 shell holders. Do you have any instructions or anything that shows how to use it properly in a single stage press? I use a lee loader also but this is different. Im mainly going to set it up for slugs and buckshot but might do some birdshot also if I just have a few to do.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:00 AM   #5
darkgael

press

Mike: It'll work with plastic hulls. Just for fun, you might want to try reloading some paper hulls. There is a neat quality about them that is missing from the plastic. Available frequently on Ebay.
I also use a Lee Load-All, a Mec 650 (for 20 ga.), and a little Lee single stage press that, I believe, they made before they marketed the Load-all.
Of all of these, I use the RCBS die set the most (but I'm not shooting thousands of rounds a year either).
This book may be of help, if you can find it. It's out of print:

Herter's Condensed Professional Loading and Reloading Data, 1966, 3rd Edition

Pete
Old July 28, 2008, 10:22 AM   #6
freakshow10mm

I load on an MEC 600JR for 20ga. I load birdshot and slugs.
Old July 28, 2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Red_Eagle

I've been loading on a MEC 650 prodessive set for 2 3/4. But when I start loading for 3" steel and lead, I'm going to swith to a single stage 600 Jr.
My Calibers: 22 Hornet, 223 Rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 270 Win, 280 Remington Ackley Improved, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Winchester magnum, 7.62x39mm, 380 Auto, 9mm Parabellum, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 45 GAP, 45 Auto, 12 & 20 Guage
Old July 28, 2008, 01:03 PM   #8
mikenbarb

darkgael, I got tons of paper shells that are once fired Federal Champions and I got tons of Alcan cardboard and plastic wads and gonna give them a try. They might work good in my pump or SxS. I got an old Herters reloading manual and catalog and gonna look in there for info on the loading tool. Thanks.
PS- I have 2 MEC presses and just need info on this type of loading tool but thanks anyway.
Red Eagle, I use two 600 jrs., One for steel and one for lead. They work great for both and you will be happy with one if you get it.
Old July 28, 2008, 08:47 PM   #9
FM12

I started with a Lee Load-All in 12 gage. Then, moved to a MEC 600, then to a MEC Steelmaster. All in all, I think the Lee is about as good as the MEC, as far as ,loaded ammo goes. Might be a little slower, and the powder/shot emptying regimen is not good. I've even thought about selling my MEC loaders and sticking with the Lee.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:50 PM   #10
mikenbarb

I dont mean a single stage shotshell loader, I mean a single stage rifle press and im using a shotgun die just like one for a rifle but alot bigger. Sorry I wasnt more clear on the description.