The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 20, 2008, 04:10 PM   #1
wildy

Concerns over a used glock 27 + glock parts question

i'm new to these forums, so in case i'm posting in the wrong subforum, please set your flaming selectors to "gentle yet educational".

I purchased a police trade in glock 27 yesterday, and i'm loving the feel and ergonomics of it. My only concern (as i have little first hand experience with DAO pistols or glocks in general) is the trigger - when i cock the gun with no ammo and dry fire, the trigger does not return to a depress-able state, it stays at the back of the trigger well. Is this a feature for glocks or am i looking at a malfunction?

also, what are the ballpark costs of having a glock armorer replace the factory slide stop lever and magazine catch with an extended slide stop lever and an oval magazine catch? (i'm a lefty, for anyone wondering why i would be wanting to do this to a subcompact).
Old July 21, 2008, 03:06 AM   #2
Tim B

Hi Wildy,

That's the way Glocks work. You have to cycle the slide to re-set the trigger.

Glocks are very easy to detail strip and adding the parts you mentioned will only take a few minutes, so cost should be minimal.

May I offer a couple of suggestions?

(1) Stick with the stock parts. The slide release on a Glock is actually only meant to be used to lock the slide to the rear. Release the slide by slingshotting it. (Works with either hand so being a lefty is no disadvantage.)

(2) Keep the stock magazine catch and use your trigger finger. It's a natural movement and will work on every pistol you pick up. Extended mag catches increase the risk of dislodging the magazine from the weapon as a result of bumping into something, since as a lefty the mag catch will be outboard.

Best,

-Tim

(Glock armorer and fellow Southpaw)

Last edited by Tim B; July 21, 2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Typos...
Old July 21, 2008, 08:04 AM   #3
wildy

Ah. thanks for the information and advice, Tim!
Old July 21, 2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Tim B

You are most welcome. Just remember that my advice is worth every cent you paid for it :-)

-Tim
Old July 21, 2008, 11:53 AM   #5
DWARREN123

Yep, trigger finger release of slide or magazine is the best way in my opinion. Try it and once use to it I believe you will find it works well.