The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 5, 2008, 02:36 PM   #1
mutski

Best holster for backpacking?

What's your favorite holster compatible with a full-sized backpack with hip belt?

I currently have a Bianchi UM84R military holster with tactical hip extender, which places my Smith & Wesson 629 revolver on my thigh, in easy reach. I really like it, particularly the flap that protects against sand and snow, but it requires an extra belt to put the gun outside raingear during stormy weather. I like the M13 chest harness, but Bianchi says it's not compatible with the UM84R (has anyone ever tried to make them work together?).

Next best option is the UM84H shoulder harness, but it isn't clear to me whether that requires attachment to a waist belt, which might make it incompatible with the hip belt on a backpack. Or does the holster hang free, overlapping the hip belt? I can't tell from the catalog info.

I've looked at several other chest harnes holster, but those seem to be made for gargantuan revolvers with very long barrels - not part of the light-weight backpacking experience.

Ideas?
Old July 6, 2008, 07:20 AM   #2
wnycollector

www.simplyrugged.com the best place to holsters for big guns! I can carry my 4" S&W 28-2 all day long comfortably in their soughdough pancake holster. They also sell conversions to allow the same holster to be worn IWB or a very cool chest rig.

Also simplyrugged is based in Wasilla, AK. You may be able to pick it up in person!
Old July 6, 2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Sam06

+1 on Simplyrugged

I have a 5.5" Redhawk that I carry backpacking, hunting and just tooling around the woods. They are great holsters and very tough. The best thing about them is they don't cost and arm and a leg.
Old July 6, 2008, 07:57 AM   #4
Gonzo_308

I would also suggest the simply rugged stuff or maybe these guys I found on the web but haven't used or seen their work yet.

My preference is a chest rig similar to a tanker rig so that you have access to the gun no matter what your pack is doing or even if you're fording a river.

link below takes you to the tanker rig made by Our Bandit Leather it shows a pick of a 7 1/2" SAA rig...I'll bet he could find his way around a 5.5bbl Ruger model

http://www.ourbanditleather.com/id105.html

Last edited by Gonzo_308; July 6, 2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: clarity
Old July 6, 2008, 11:07 PM   #5
ch47gunner

An old Leather Hunter holster, w/ safety strap, and a closed toe works for me.

Don't do a lot of backpacking anymore but, I do a lot of flyfishing & carcamping, in the sticks. Both in California and Montana - I always pack something for critters.

Bruce
Old July 7, 2008, 03:58 PM   #6
thinkingman

I am working on the same issue.
I use a basic Uncle Mikes Nylon...no leather for me as it is likely to get wet (soaked) and that leads to another set of issues.
I am going to take an Uncle Mikes to a canvas shop and have a larger nylon loop sewn on to go over the hip belt on my backpack.
I tried modifying a holster to adapt to the buddy-loks on the belt but the holster put too much torque on the buddy-lok and it spun off.
Old July 7, 2008, 07:34 PM   #7
x2501

Holster for backpacking

I've been using a large size Bianchi/Desantis fanny pack for my 629 4 inch. Put the FP on loosely, put on backpack, raise FP and buckle BP strap beneath. Protects better than holster on hip or thigh, maybe not as fast, but out of view.