The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 1, 2008, 11:22 AM   #1
GeorgeF

Anyone have good experience with Taurus Gaucho?

I am looking to pick up a SAA Clone and the prices on the Taurus Gaucho are pretty hard to beat. I want stainless finish and .45 Colt.

I know they have had issues in past, but is this something that has been remedied or did their latest models have problems still?

The other choice would be the Ruger Montado, but for the price difference I could buy a LOT of .45 Colt ammo.

Any help?
Old July 1, 2008, 01:00 PM   #2
arcticap

25 Search Results for "Gaucho"

I did an "advanced search" by entering the word "Gaucho" & specifying the "Black Powder Forum", and 25 threads came up in the results. Some have Gaucho in the title, and Gaucho should show up in red letters in each post where it appears so you can quickly scan them for relevant info.
Some of the threads are old so there's even more folks owning them now who can provide more more opinions.

Here's the 25 search results:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=2007031

Here's a sample thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ghlight=gaucho

Last edited by arcticap; July 2, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old July 1, 2008, 01:05 PM   #3
ZeSpectre

My experience is older so who knows, maybe things have changed.

What happened with my Gaucho Pistols.

The bottom line is that after several failures I gave up and switched to Ruger Blackhawks.
Sorry, I'm afraid I simply can't recommend Gauchos.

I really do miss the "4-click" feel though.
Old July 1, 2008, 02:09 PM   #4
tacticalmedic

I have one in .357 Magnum and I like it. I do not shoot it very often but when I do it is a blast! no pun intended... I have never had a problem with mine but I have put less than 500 round thru it.
Old July 1, 2008, 02:47 PM   #5
GeorgeF

i saw the numerous older threads, but was hoping to get input from newer buyers - to see if quality control has improved at all. I can get two consecutive stainless Gauchos for same price of the Montado, so its a really tough decision.

man, this is a tough call. i wonder if its even worth it to call Taurus and ask them about the quality issues.
Old July 1, 2008, 03:25 PM   #6
sundance44s

I hear they have a good LifeTime Warranty ( send your gun in and it takes a lifetime to get it back ) .
That being said , I have a friend that just bought a new one from SportsMansWarehouse in 45LC...his only complaint is it shoots high left . To him no target pistol.
Old July 2, 2008, 11:20 PM   #7
BeeGee

Next post I had an opps
Old July 2, 2008, 11:28 PM   #8
BeeGee

GeorgeF, I have a Gaucho in blue/CCH 45 colt and after 6000 rnds I have not had one problem. I shoot it 6 rnds or 160 rnds and when I'm done I clean it. My buddy has two Gaucho's and he hasn't had any problems either. I just thought it would be nice to hear some of us enjoy the Taurus Gaucho w/ no problems. BTW , I bought mine the first month they came out and my friend about 3 months into production. Maybe QC has fallen off a bit for these other owners, but I swear by all my Taurus firearms. BeeGee
Old July 3, 2008, 12:33 AM   #9
zxcvbob

I have one. I had to take it to a local gunsmith to get the firing pin fitted (like they should have done at the factory) because it would hang up on the transfer bar. I'm having problems now with the cylinder pin not being hardened, so it gets scarred up by the cylinder bushing during recoil and I have to drive it out with a lead hammer for cleaning and then file the burrs off so I can put it back in. Also I have to be careful when I take it apart for cleaning because the cylinder bushing falls out. I called Taurus when I first got it so I could send it back for waranty repair, the gun was brand new, and they just put me on hold and never came back.

It seems like a pretty good gun now, but I don't know how long it's gonna last because of the soft cylinder pin. (Who knows what else they didn't bother to heat treat.) I paid $300 for it, then another $35 for repairs; in hindsight I should have just paid the $450 or whatever it was and got a New Vaquero instead. But I have so many Rugers already and I wanted to try something different.

It's real accurate, and it does look nice, for whatever that's worth. It would probably do just fine if I shot nothing but .38 Specials in it.
Old July 3, 2008, 01:34 AM   #10
GeorgeF

Thanks for all the insights! I am unexpectedly in the middle of a job search, so as soon as I land a new gig I will arrange a purchase.
Old July 3, 2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Ifishsum

zxcvbob, I had the exact same base pin problem with my Gaucho in .45 Colt. Taurus replaced it but I had the same problem after shooting a few cylinders through it. I found that the Belt Mountain standard pin that's made to fit SAAs and clones would fit, I just had to shorten it by about 3/16" so it doesn't interfere with the transfer bar. That pin seems to be properly hardened as my problem is solved, and it's been a great gun since. The Belt Mountain pin wasn't very expensive, and only took a few minutes with the Dremel to make it work.

Link to Belt Mountain base pin at MidwayUSA

I really like the Gaucho and Taurus in general, hopefully they've got the little issues ironed out. I bought mine pretty early on, in fact I think it was one of the first ones my local dealer received.
Old July 3, 2008, 06:13 PM   #12
Gaucho Gringo

I have had mine for almost 2 years and have had no problems with it. It is a blued 5 1\2" .357 but I shoot about 80% .38's. I love the smoothness when cocking it and the 4 clicks. I have put around 500 rounds through it.
Old July 3, 2008, 09:01 PM   #13
zxcvbob

I know I replied to this earlier, but now my post is gone. I guess maybe I just pressed the "preview" button. Anyway,
Quote:
I had the exact same base pin problem with my Gaucho in .45 Colt. Taurus replaced it but I had the same problem after shooting a few cylinders through it. I found that the Belt Mountain standard pin that's made to fit SAAs and clones would fit, I just had to shorten it by about 3/16" so it doesn't interfere with the transfer bar. That pin seems to be properly hardened as my problem is solved, and it's been a great gun since.
Thank you so much! I wonder if a blued pin on a bright stainless gun (looks like nickel) would look OK? I think I'll try it and find out -- it might actually look *good* that way