The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 5, 2008, 07:54 AM   #1
ltmcleoed

browning x-bolt

does anyone have one? any opinions? i'm thinking about selling my abolt to get a new one.
Old June 5, 2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I bought one about 3 weeks ago---scoped it up a few days ago---but haven't shot it yet.

I have an EX--3 daughters---and a grandson that keep me very busy on top of a 50hr a week job.

Scoped up---it handles very much like my old A-bolt that I had years ago. Love the new magazine system.

I'm not so sure I'd be so fast to sell your old rifle---unless it doesn't shoot good or you want a different caliber.
-------Metallica
Old June 5, 2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Desertfox

It looks sexy enough and I like the new magazine reviews. Does anyone know if they are going to put the BOSS system on them next year? It would be a great disservice to the shooting community if they eliminate the BOSS.
Old June 5, 2008, 04:34 PM   #4
ltmcleoed

my current abolt has the BOSS, they are pretty amazing. i started handoading so its not so important for me anymore
Old June 5, 2008, 06:57 PM   #5
BIGR

Let us know about your range session. Interesting rifle, is it better than the A Bolt?
Old June 22, 2008, 05:19 PM   #6
JTD0314

Please tell me it is not made in Japan???????????????
Old June 22, 2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Deerhunter264

its an awsome gun i have one in the medallion which isgloss finsih with a monarch 3-12 scope. in a .243 and it is extremely accurate. And its is a beautiful rifle, And it is made in japan
Old June 23, 2008, 09:11 AM   #8
JTD0314

I have a Browning Shorttrac 300 WSM and just recently bought a new Shorttrac 308 that is made in Belgium. I was going to trade the 300 WSM Shorttrac for an X-bolt in 300 WSM, but the thought of sitting in my treestand reading made in Japan makes me sick. Looks like my new bolt gun will have to be a Remington or Kimber.

Last edited by JTD0314; June 24, 2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old June 23, 2008, 10:11 PM   #9
ginshun

Why is it better to see "Made in Begium" than "Made in Japan"

The Japanese make awesome firearms.

The Japanese BAR and Shorttrac that my dad has both shoot better than my Belguim made BAR although I am hoping to get mine closer if I get a littel more time to work up some loads. My Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vangaurd are both excellent guns, both made in Japan.
Old June 23, 2008, 10:14 PM   #10
roy reali

Where Made?

Some of you here seem to be concerned about where a rifle is made. How many of you are viewing this forum on American Made Computers?
Old June 24, 2008, 12:20 AM   #11
LanceOregon

Quote:
Looks like my new bolt gun will have to be a Remington or Kimber.
Get a Remington 700 like I did. But do put a Nikon Monarch on it, as the new Nikon Monarchs are truly outstanding scopes. This is the 4-16x model on my new Remington.

Old June 24, 2008, 02:20 AM   #12
JTD0314

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you here seem to be concerned about where a rifle is made. How many of you are viewing this forum on American Made Computers?

I know, and I drive a Nissan, but when it comes to firearms I have a hard time accepting it.
Old June 24, 2008, 04:15 PM   #13
LanceOregon

Well, the fact is that there are still a number of good American made handguns and rifles to choose from. So why not try to buy American?

I wish I could say the same about shotguns. All of my sporting shotguns are now Berettas.

As for computers, well, I don't believe that you can buy any computer running Windows that is made in the USA anymore. Some former US makers, like Gateway for example, aren't even American owned companies anymore.

And as for cars, well, I think we all know the story about that.

Old June 24, 2008, 06:44 PM   #14
Horseman

I used to really have a problem with Japanes guns but have since realized a few things. Some of the best sporting firearms made come from Japan. The fit and finish is phenomonal on most Brownings when compared to their American competition.

I own far more American guns than Japanese but I have to admit, the Japanese guns have not dropped their quality the last few years like so many American guns. Some of the great Japanese guns would be; Weatherby Mark V Deluxe(built in USA since 95') Browning Citori, A-bolt, Howa/Weatherby Vanguard etc. It is widely accepted by old Winchester/Browning collectors that the new Japanese reproductions are higher quality than the originals. The Browning A-5 comes to mind. The same with the Japanese made Weatherby Mark V Deluxes. The Japanese era guns are considered superior to the German and US era guns.

Japanes made Browning Citori's have remarkable hand checkered stocks. Mine left dimples in my palms for the first 2 years every time I shot it. By contrast look at the famed Italian Beretta's checkering. Machine cut and not nearly as nice and sharp.