The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 15, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1
garryc

Bullets going to sleep

I've been working on loads for my custom 284 Winchester. It's a Winchester coyote that I had converted to 284 with a 28" Douglas HB. I have a Jard 9 oz trigger on the gun.
I worked with Sierra 168gr match bullets. I ended up with using 57gr of H4831sc loaded to 3.00" in Winchester cases. At 100yrds I was getting 3/4 to 1" groups. I took it to a longer range today and got consistent 5/8th" groups at 200yrds. Then I fired at 300yrds and got 1" groups. I went to 500yrds and got two 1-3/8" groups and three that went just under 2". Then a range chuck came out and faced us at about 425yrds. A few clicks down and I drilled him below the chin. Needless to say, I love this rifle.
Now granted the bench at the 100yrd range is a contortionists nightmare, some screwed up engineering on that thing, but 1' at 100 translates into 5" at 500. I never gave much stock in the bullet going to sleep thing, but now I have to question that.
Old June 15, 2008, 09:24 PM   #2
jmr40

I've never gotten a group smaller at 200 than 100 but have seen groups that were basically the same. I don't have anyplace to shoot farther than 200 but do not doubt your results based on my experiences.
Old June 15, 2008, 09:51 PM   #3
MeekAndMild

Bullets actually spiral in flight. Here are the best 2 links I can find on short notice.

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...0aca52ee281035
http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/bullet_helical_path.html

I've seen this best standing just behind and beside someone shooting a .45 ACP 1911 on the 100 yard range. You will see the bullets make one big spiral broken up into little spirals like inverted flower petals.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old June 15, 2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Jimro

Sounds like you have a case of needing to tweak your load until you drop your standard deviation into the single digits.

If you already have that then check your crown.

But it isn't uncommon to get better groups at distance after they've had time to lose a little wobble.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old June 16, 2008, 07:34 AM   #5
garryc

Part of it is a testament to the value of a good bench, heck, maybe most of it. The bench at the club with the 100yrd range has an attached seat far too low from the top. I have to twist my body to get on the rifle and sit on some sand bags, and I'm 6'-1" tall. If I'm not very careful I'll get horizontal strings from the rifle rolling out in recoil. You have to stress muscles to the right to get on it so you might get strings of 2 or more inches to the right. All that while firing off a Caldwell "The Rock" rest. The more the rifle recoils the worse it is. That's the best bench they have, the others are made of 2x4's and plywood and they wobble.

Conversely, The range with the 600yrs capability are 34" to the top. They have stools that you can adjust to the height you want. The rifle will lay naturally on target and you don't have to stress any muscles to get on it. Unfortunately that range is 1-1/2 hours from my house.

Running off topic a bit:

I've pushed for benches typical of those used in the International Bench rest Shooters Association but we are heavy with handgun shooters and they are not having any of that. I guess I'll have to run for president to get that done.

That will be a fight because the president has been there for 9 years and for all that time his wife has been treasurer. They know that my first move as president will be a full audit of the books, I'm not suspecting wrong doing but I will look deep into it. I won president 15 years ago, the former president had his brother as treasurer for 6 years. I audited and found $45,000 missing, and that is just what I could prove. I had them prosecuted, both got 2yrs probation with an order to repay on a schedule, that was with a guilty plea.

I'm a bit of a hard @#$ when it comes to stealing.

Last edited by garryc; June 16, 2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: spell check
Old June 16, 2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Scorch

I had a similar experience with a 8X57 rifle years ago. With light bullets it would shoot 1.5" at 100 and about 1.5" at 200. With heavier bullets it did the standard 1" at 100, 2" at 200, etc, etc. Has to do with over-spinning the bullet, and how long it takes for the bullet to stabilize once it leaves the bore.
Taylor Machine