The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 29, 2008, 06:14 AM   #1
mk70ss

.45 Bullseye Guns

I shoot .22 bullseye and bought a 1911 for the .45 stage of bullseye matches. What are you guys using for red dot mounts? Are you drilling/tapping and mounting on the slide or using one of the "grip panel" type mounts? If you have pics of your rigs, That would be great.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:05 AM   #2
LeadPumper

Keep 'em in the X ring...

Most of the .45's I see in bullseye are purpose built for that sport. And of those that have red dot sights there are two main types of mounts; slide and frame.

The Frame mount is more solid and does not move the dot with the slide, the slide mount sits a little lower but the dot moves with the slide.

I shoot a frame mount Les Baer with an Ultradot Matchdot.

Here are some Les Baer pistols for ya:
http://lesbaer.com/comp.html

No one I know who has tried the grip mount uses it for long. It's too heavy, sights the dot too high and flexes under recoil enough that it shakes loose.

YMMV.

Good Luck,

-LeadPumper
Old May 29, 2008, 12:29 PM   #3
mk70ss

Thanks for the response, Nice looking rig you have!
Old May 29, 2008, 05:13 PM   #4
10s&Xs

I'd second what LeadPumper said - I don't see many guns on the line with the grip panel mount.

My first bullseye .45 was a Springfield with a frame mount similar to the picture. A Weigand (sp) I think. Worked out just fine.

When I bought a used Les Baer, it had a slide mount for the dot, and I found I liked it better. Not only does the dot sit lower, it changes the recoil by adding weight to the slide. I did, however, discover that the Bushnell Trophy dot I was using wasn't up to the task. Battery contacts shook loose after a while, luckily it wasn't at a match. A new Ultradot solved that problem, and it's been good to go.

If you get a chance, try shooting pistols with both types of mounts, see which fits you best.
Old June 9, 2008, 09:13 AM   #5
bentrod

Scope on a LB

I am shooting Bullseye with a Les Baer PII .45. I have an UltraDot on my .22 and was thinking of adding an UD on my .45 later. Who drilled and tapped your guns, is it OK to have a gunsmith do it or must it be done by Les Baer?

bentrod
Old June 9, 2008, 09:30 PM   #6
papa shooter

my pistol

I used to shoot an open sight Colt National Match 45 and a Colt Ace. Now I still shoot them with my reading glasses so I can see the sight. No red dots or anything else for me. Just the old fashion one hand open sight pistol for me.

Papa
Old June 10, 2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

The best set-up would be a Doctor reddot sight low mounted on the slide. This puts the dot closer to the center of the bore.
If you don't want to use a Doctor I recommend some type of frame mount like the Caspian mount that's on the gun in the picture.
There's also some one sided mounts that work very well with C-More type reddot sights.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com