The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 25, 2008, 07:46 AM   #1
jbirdhaffield

Thompson Center Encore "vs" CVA Optima Elite

Hey there,
Just wanted to know if there is anyone that owns a CVA Optima Elite and what they think about it. I have done alot of research and found that without a doubt the T/C Encore is favored for the single shot ML and rifle. However, those that do own CVA Optima Elite's really like the gun. How could they not? Each gun in the Elite line has a Bergara barrel which are made in Spain from none other than Shilon himself. The barrles rank in the top 3 of the best built with outstanding accuracy. Not only do they carry the fine barrel but they also have DuraBright adjustable top line fiber optic sights, Quake Claw sling, and a Crushzone recoil pad. These are a lot of top line features. You can get the rifle in 6 different calibers. One thing that I noticed is that the Elite series comes stock with the Bergara barrels where the T/C comes with there own made however, Bergara sells there barrels to fit the T/C encore for better accuracy. So it appears that the CVA Elite has a better barrel to start. All of this for 1/2 the cost of the T/C Encore. I am ordering one from Walmart this coming week. I am getting the
.243 Win in stainless steel with the Realtree camo stock. $353 plus tax.
Not bad huh?

Last edited by jbirdhaffield; May 25, 2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old June 8, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2
UniversalFrost

well, just ot give you a heads up the bergara barrels are made only in consultation from Ed Shilen. He and shilen barrels have nothing in common with the bergara barrels other than he told them how not to screw up like they have done so often with the CVA muzzle loader barrels (lots of catastrophic failures and lots of lawsuits for CVA in their muzzle loaders).

The T/C encore is a great gun to shoot and a few upgrades from Bellm are all you need to have an awsome single shot rig. Also, SSK and Bellm are about tops in barrel makers for single shot rifles like the T/C line up.

Let us know how that CVA is shooting for you.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old June 9, 2008, 05:03 PM   #3
jbirdhaffield

CVA Optima Elite VS T/C Encore

Well thank you universalfrost. You are about the only one that ever takes the time to give any info or advice especially when no one else is responding.
I will definately let you know how the Elite shoots. I did recieve the gun without the DuraBright fiber optic sights but was no problem getting BPI to send them to me. Barbara, the lady I talked to from CVA seemed knowledgable and was very nice. I hope they're all like that.
Thanks, JBird.
Old June 9, 2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Maybe you'll get more responces if you post in the black powder section.
-------Metallica
Old June 9, 2008, 05:24 PM   #5
sureshots

Not Impressed

I have the TC Encore ML Barrels in 45 and 50Cal. and I,m not impressed with either one of them. I have tried various weights and powder and as of yet have not been able to equal the accuracy of my fifteen year old Knight. I,m pretty sure the CVA will out shoot the TC Encore Muzzleloader. I have A couple of Buddies that have the 50 Cal. Encore and they aren't happy either.
Old June 9, 2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Dezynco

The "cartridge" barrels for the TC Encore are hard to beat. Never seen one of any caliber that wasn't accurate.

However, when my brother bought a 50 cal. ML barrel for his Encore, he had to fiddle with it forever to get the bullet weight/powder charge to work just right. When he finally found the magic formula, he could drive tacks with it.

I'm telling this as a "in my experience" sorta tale, so the end call is up to you since I don't have any experience with the CVA.

I would also love to here how your experience goes.
Old June 9, 2008, 07:18 PM   #7
UniversalFrost

for any muzzle loader you have to experiment with the loads to get one that shoots well in any gun. That is just the world of muzzleloading. I personally own an encore with the 209x50 barrel and a contender with the 209x45 barrel and it did take some time to find the bullets that each likes and the loads.

Many times I have found folks are shooting too heavy and too hot of loads for their guns. The only gun I have had that would shoot any load in it for a muzzleloader was a lyman great plains rifle, but these are not cheap.

Personally after reading and personally seeing CVA barrels fail with less then max loads have left me a skeptic of their line of guns. The fact that they would rather take folks to court when sued instead of just fessing up and recalling a gun line shows me that they are out for the money like any large corporation and don't care about the consumer after the sale.

The CVA rifles and muzzleloaders look nice and are a welcome competition for the thompson center monopoly of interchangable barrel systems, but they need to improve on their quality control before I will make the switch from T/C..

Also guys my favorite muzzle loader is the lyman great plains rifle in flintlock of course.

JOE

Old June 9, 2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Dezynco

I want a Lyman Great Plains in flintlock! Wish they offered a 45 caliber....

Wait we're on the wrong forum for that sorta talk!
Old June 9, 2008, 07:55 PM   #9
UniversalFrost

yes we are on the wrong part of the forum for that kinda talk. Me personally, I went for the 54 cal. wish they offered a 58 cal. I got a few of the 58 and bigger guns, but they are all kentucy rifles from kits and one custom made sucker that I built everything myself from scratch except for the barrel which a now deceaed gunsmith (best gunsmith I ever knew) and fellow machinist made for me from straight bar stock and took many many hours.