The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 16, 2008, 01:07 PM   #1
skull1

correct ammo for a Walther P38

Hello I bought a wwII walther p38 and dont know what kind of 9mm ammo is best for it? Also how do you remove rust build up on the inside of the lower part of the gun?
Old May 16, 2008, 01:48 PM   #2
sholling

basic fmj should do fine.
Old May 16, 2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Aquanewt

for the rust

Break the pistol down and get some fine steel wool. Let the stuff soak in a good gun oil until it is saturated. Rub lightly. Sometimes a pink pencil eraser will also work. Don't over do it.
Old May 16, 2008, 07:20 PM   #4
gilfo

I have a P1. I use only Winchester white box. I don't use it for ccw, just fun at the range. I have a CZ Rami for ccw.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Searcher451

This question is asked and discussed a great deal on the P38 Forum. Winchester white box 115 gr. is the ammo of choice for both the steel-framed WWII version and the post-war P1 with its alloy frame. The same ammo works great in the P4 and the P5 as well. Hotter loads are not recommended.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:42 AM   #6
10-96

How are these things in the accuracy dept? I can't believe I haven't added one to my stockpile yet, and I honestly don't know why.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:07 AM   #7
ZEBRARANGER

They really are a great value right now and fun to shoot. $200. for a German made 9mm, you cant beat it. The look & feel is very different than any other semi auto, which is probably why they are so fun to shoot. They dont like Remington ammo. The one I have is very acurate. I cant see them getting any cheaper in price.

Last edited by ZEBRARANGER; May 17, 2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:14 AM   #8
Searcher451

Most of these beauties shoot just fine right out of the box ... or maybe right out of storage is a better way to phrase it. You also can adjust the front sights. If you go to the "tech info" area on the P38 Forum, it explains the process. Here's a link:

http://www.p38forum.com/index.htm

The P1 is a joy to shoot, it's affordable, it easily obtainable, and you don't have to worry about ruining a potential heirloom when you take it to the range. You can get "minty" examples from Dan Tobin at Dan's Ammo for under $300 with a holster, extra mag, cleaning kit, etc. Best of all is the P5, which is the ultimate expression of the original P38's internal organs. SOG has them for well under $500, hand-picked and shipped to your FFL dealer.