The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 9, 2008, 08:48 PM   #1
DaveInPA

1911 lubrication?

Can someone link me to a diagram showing the points a 1911 should be lubricated at? I field strip and lube my 1911s every time I shoot them, and just want to make sure I'm oiling/greasing all the essential places. Thanks.
Old May 9, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Tom2

No diagram but I can describe what I do- lube the slide grooves and or the mating surfaces in the frame, the front of the hammer where it contacts the slide when it retracts, maybe just a bit on the tip of the disconnector, locking lugs on the top of the barrel and along the outer surface of the barrel where it contacts the bushing. Also a little on the barrel link and on the slide release where it goes thru the link. Don't do the breech face or on the bottom of the slide where it contacts the top round of ammo. Or at least not more than a thin thin film. I apply something to the rest of the gun but as a protectant, not for lubrication. And don't overdo it anywhere. If you have fired the gun alot you will have an obvious clue to where to put a little lube by the wear on the finish of the moving parts. Something on the outside of the magazines for rust but nothing inside. It should be clean but dry inside the mags.
Old May 9, 2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Casimer

Here's the definitive guide to oiling your 1911 by Ed Masaki - http://www.lava.net/~perrone/bullseye/oiling.html
Old May 9, 2008, 11:16 PM   #4
DaveInPA

LOL hardest "diagram" to read ever.

I think I'm getting everywhere I need to, just wanted to make sure.
Old May 10, 2008, 06:22 AM   #5
RsqVet

I oil the action parts with rem-oil after cleaning and then grease slide rails, locking lugs, link and any place else where metal meets metal.

I use teflon grease... great stuff and keeps the dirt suspended so it jsut blows away.
Old May 10, 2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
LOL hardest "diagram" to read ever.
That's great diagram and sound advice, but was that done on a cocktail napkin?
Old May 10, 2008, 07:39 AM   #7
parrothead2581

Not a diagram, but thorough instructions: http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=32378
Old May 10, 2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Casimer

Quote:
That's great diagram and sound advice, but was that done on a cocktail napkin?
LOL - probably. Ed Masaki is definately pre-internet. You can always identify his posts on Bullseye-L because HE ONLY TYPES IN CAPITAL LETTERS