The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 5, 2008, 11:07 AM   #1
psdan000

Shooting slugs with a choke tube

this may be a really stupid question but i dont know the answer. i have a mossberg 500 20 ga. i do not have a rifled slug barrel, only smooth bore. i have had no problem shooting rifled slugs out of it for 2 deer seasons. at 75 yards i can keep them within a 4" circle, which is all i really need for deer hunting here. now i figured that it would be best not to use a choke tube while doing this. only problem is that when i do this, the threads in the barrel get dirty and make it hard to put a choke tube back in. what kind of choke tube can i use while shooting slugs out of this gun/barrel? thanks for the help.
Old May 5, 2008, 11:12 AM   #2
rantingredneck

never fire your shotgun without a choke tube installed. yes the threads are steel and the shot is lead, but those are fine threads you are running lead across at high velocity. Over time it can and will damage those threads. \

Rifled lead slugs are fine to shoot through most chokes save the tightest (turkey/xfull and the like). They are typically soft lead and will swage down to fit through the choke. Brenneke's are harder lead but will still swage to an extent. I personally use IC, but I've used Mod before as well with OK results accuracy wise.
Old May 5, 2008, 11:14 AM   #3
rantingredneck

You can also buy a rifled choke tube that will aid some with accuracy.
Old May 5, 2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Rampant_Colt

Like RRN said, try using a fully-rifled choke tube with sabot slugs

and always keep some type of choke tube when shooting your gun!!
Old May 5, 2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Scattergun Bob

psdan000

Dissimilar metals seem to quite often bond tougher. Be very careful with the fine threads in your barrel and make sure they are free of lead.
Old May 5, 2008, 08:07 PM   #6
mikenbarb

Why would you take out the tube and shoot with it out. Have a gunsmith check the tube threads for damage before firing again. The damage may already be done and the barrel is no good if they wont screw in easy or its possibly cross threading because of the lead from slugs wiping out the threads. That is proably the quickest way to ruin a barrel. If still good get a cyl bore or imp.cyl. tube for it. The tightest you can go with slugs is modified. Full is a little too tight of a constriction for some slugs. The rifled tubes are good also but if you have a smoothbore barrel try the Federal Tru ball or Brenneke. They are the two that are pretty good with smoothbores.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:30 PM   #7
psdan000

thanks for the replies, the threads seem to be fine it hasnt been fired but maybe 10 times without the tube in. i wiped the threads out and the tube goes back in fine. live and learn i guess is all i can say...i have an improved cylinder, modified and full choke for the barrel, so i will use the improved or modified while firing the slugs. thanks again.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:55 PM   #8
jdc48160

Use your improved cylinder choke tube. It's the same diameter as the barrel itself, which is what you want. The modified is smaller, albeit not much, but you don't want to go smaller than the bore size if you're gonna shoot slugs out of your smoothbore.

Just FYI, you say you have a Mossberg 500, I'm sure you can find a rifled slug barrel for that gun for a good price. I'd definitely look into it. You'll cut that 4 inch group size in half with a good rifled barrel and a proper sighting-in.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:29 AM   #9
mikenbarb

psdan, Try egunparts for a slug barrel. They have them quite often for decent prices. Also, Cabela's has Badger barrels and Mossberg brand for under 200.00 and their worth it if your gonna do alot of slug hunting for deer. Actually I just looked and their 500 combo for barrel and scope is $179.99 and their rifled barrel is 139.99 with rifle sights and 159.99 for a cantilever. They are a cheap option for great accuracy and with sabot slugs it brings your range out to 200yds and beyond.