The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 2, 2008, 05:59 PM   #1
mossberg500

Used JB Weld for a front sight.

I bought a used SS H&R 12 ga from Gander Mountain a couple weeks ago. Took it shooting last weekend and was definitely impressed with the patterns it held with the #6 game loads.

The gun had the old brass bead for a front sight. I didnt want to monkey around with that too much, so I bought one of those neon looking sights that normally would screw in in place of the brass bead, but I didnt want to risk breaking the old one off trying to remove it, and the gun only cost $55, so Im hardly about to take it to a gunsmith.
So I used some JB Weld and put the front sight on just behind the bead. Its a smaller one that is only a bit bigger than the existing bead itself.
Ive used JB Weld on an engine block before, and since I had nothing to lose thought Id give it a shot.
Went really well. You have to look closely to even see that its put on that way.

I got a bit curious to see if it would come off and tried knock it off (if it breaks Im out $5 for the sight, cheap enough but I wanted to know if this thing is going to come off in the field (another reason to leave the brass bead intact), but no matter how much pounding I have done its showing no sign of even starting to give.

Im interested to see how it holds up, Ive never had anything come apart once JB was on it.
Has anyone else use JB Weld on a gun barrel here ? (obviously no one would on a new gun, but on an older one).

Old May 2, 2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

Hi Mossberg

For a long time Scattergun technologies ghost ring sights required the front sight to be epoxied on the barrel. If you prepared the barrel properly they seemed to work just fine. I don't see why your fix shouldn't work.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old May 2, 2008, 08:10 PM   #3
mossberg500

Interesting. learned something new
I cleaned up and took it down to the bare metal where I planned on using the JBWeld. In the past when I made the mistake of not preparing the surface the bond was pretty weak.

I saw one site where a guy actually made a sight out of JBWeld for a handgun.
Seems like theres nothing that stuff wont do
Old May 3, 2008, 11:14 PM   #4
part swede

I replaced a front bead with a tritium sight. I drilled a tiny cave into the base of the bead, smeared JB weld into it and onto the threads of the new sight, and put it together. It's rock solid. I wasn't equipped to tap into the existing bead.
Old May 3, 2008, 11:20 PM   #5
Crosshair

I used Duco cement to attach the feed ramp on my Saiga AKM. Works just fine. Probably couldn't get it off without damaging the gun.
Old May 3, 2008, 11:42 PM   #6
DonR101395

I know a number of guys who have used JB to install XS big dots on the 870s. I used it to index the trijicon bead on my 590 sbs.
Old May 4, 2008, 05:11 AM   #7
b.thomas

Had to replace a bead in a old baker sxs about 35 years ago and just drilled out the hole, replaced the bead (home made one) using epoxy......worked great.