The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 28, 2008, 09:40 PM   #1
gianelli280

8mm mauser inaccuracy (muzzle brake?)

I picked up an 8mm mauser a while ago, kar98 (supposedly) and although i didnt get much time to shoot it, the shooting i did resulted in over 8" groups at 100 yds. I'm no expert, but i know this is unacceptable. Yes, it kicks more than any rife i've ever owned, but its nothing i cant manage, and even a fellow shooter at the range gave it a whirl with the same results.

It has this goofy muzzle brake on it, with two diagonal vents adjacent to the direction of the barrel on top. This a good place to start?

If so, what are the chances that will make it worse?

Thanks
Old April 28, 2008, 09:57 PM   #2
T.A.Sharps

What ammo are you shooting, did you buy new and highest quality you can afford? For sighting in I always get the best ammo I can.

What is the condition of the rifle? Has it been cleaned? Look through the bore shining a light into the chamber, is it shiney?

If someone put something goofy on the barrel that is not supposed to be there, that may be it. You got it used I assume? Who knows what they did to it.
Old April 28, 2008, 10:11 PM   #3
gianelli280

Yeah, highest quality 8mm mauser rounds run about 100$ a box of 20. I've shot remington rounds through it, about 30$ a box, which seemed like some pretty decent ammo, but not "safari grade" Benjamin bullets.

I cleaned the thing up pretty well, the bore is top notch. Yes it was used, but i should mention that it has swastika stamps on it, so would age be a sufficient explanation for inaccuracy?

If in fact it is an original late 40's - early 50's rifle...

I bought it "sporterized" from the shop, but the only sporting i'll be doing with this rifle if it doesnt sight in is baseball.
Old April 28, 2008, 10:23 PM   #4
Darren007

Quote:
so would age be a sufficient explanation for inaccuracy?
Nope. I have three 1891 Argentine Mauser in "near mint" unissued condition that shoot groups just as good as any Remington Model 700 I have fired.

Im not quite sure why your getting such groups. You stated the bore was good. And you were shooting Remington factory ammo. I know you said it has a useless (IMHO) muzzle brake installed on it, but is there anyway you can check to see if the muzzle crown has been damaged. A damaged muzzle crown can cause poor groups.
Old April 28, 2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Arabia

Well my unaltered K98k will do about 3" at 100yrds using iron sights. With a scope it probably would do better. My guess would be that the muzzle break is causing the problem, or that you are flinching from the recoil.
Old April 28, 2008, 10:43 PM   #6
JP Sarte

8mm

If the rifle is an old military issue that has been "sportarized" you may be having a problem because of one of the following reasons:

1. Military folks were often required to clean their weapons from the barrel end with not so careful techniques which has over time resulted in a large number of the old surplus rifles suffering crown damage.

2. Depending on which country used the gun corrosive ammunition in conjunction with poor cleaning practices may have caused damage to the bore. Damage that may not be clearly visible.

JP
Old April 28, 2008, 11:23 PM   #7
dipper

It could be a few different things.
You didn't mention if it was scoped or not---if it is it could be loose mounts, bad scope.
check the barrel crown for burrs and such--use a eye loop or good magnifying glass, it doesn't take a huge imperfection to drastically effect accuracy.
Are the action screws tight??
Have a smith check the barrel with a bore scope--won't cost you much and you can't see everything with the naked eye.
The rifle should just be gone over---bedding could be terrible--if open sights, make sure they are tight.
Barrel could be fouled beyond belief etc. etc.

If you like the rifle, I wouldn't waste any more ammo--find a good smith and get a price for a good going over--you'll know what you have then and can go from there.

Dipper
Old April 28, 2008, 11:33 PM   #8
bobn

the fact that you mentioned it kicks more than any rifle you own concerns me. like you are shooting the wrong ammo in it. with a control round feed mauser the extractor could hold the rim of a incorrect case tight enough to the bolt for the firing pin to hit the primer. but then the case would rupture, causing bad accuaracy, dangerous pressure and all that extreme recoil. get a good gun guy to look at it for you. jmho. bobn