The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
pete5409

6 mm. gas check cast bullets

I want to shoot gas check cast bullets in my 6mm. rifle for silhouettes and maybe even take them out on a javalina or deer hunt every now and then. How much accuracy vs store-bought can I expect and does anyone have any tips as to what brand and design of bullet moulds to get. At around 2600-2800 fps how much fouling should I expect? Where can I find reloading info?
Thanks for any help.
Old April 18, 2008, 04:31 PM   #2
wncchester

At those velocities the bullets are likely to strip the rifling, lead plate your bore and accuracy will be non-existant.

With hard cast straight lynotype metal, gas checks, great lube (alox, NRA formula) and correctly sized bullets you can expect to achieve speeds around 2,000 to 2,200 fps with acceptable accuracy for practice or small game hunting.

Carefully cast, carefully selected and sized bullets will aid accuracy a lot but don't expect to hit silhouettes at long ranges. Fun to shoot, and cheap too, cast bullets will never equal the practical velocities or accuracy of jacketed bullets.

The standard for cast bullet information and loading data is Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook". Lyman makes excellant molds too.

I haven't seen any molds for .243 listed in any catalogues lately, don't know if they are still making them. Hope so but???
Old April 18, 2008, 05:35 PM   #3
pete5409

First of all, thank you for your response.
I´ve been shooting cast pistol bullets for a number of years now and after much trial and error, have found that they deliver excellent accuracy. That is partly why I want to try casting rifle bullets. The thing is, shooting and hunting with your own reloads, be they cast pistol bullets or nosler jacketed rifle bullets, for me, makes it all a lot more fun, plus of course the added accuracy derived from quality handloads. I live in Mexico and it´s hard to get jacketed bullets; the few we can get, we usually save for hunting and competitive shooting. That´s why we´re always looking for alternatives. I figure that if I can get moa accuracy out to maybe 200 meters, then it´s well worth the investment. Of course, if it´s going to wreak havoc on my barrel then there´s no way I´m gonna shoot those cast bullets in my rifles!!! Got any suggestions??
Old April 19, 2008, 05:20 PM   #4
dmickey

Yeah! Leave Mexico!!!