The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2008, 07:15 PM   #1
rickomatic

Lee Turret Press users step in

I've had an old style Lee Turret press for years that I just put back into service. I decided to upgrade it with the Auto Index option, and 4-hole turret. When I installed the Auto Index I also installed a new (as required per the Lee website) Auto Index Ram. The slot in the front of the new ram, and the shell holder cutout are not centered in the 6 o'clock position as the old one was, but are offset in the 7 o'clock position. Every picture I see or video I watch on Lee's website show it as being centered, and not offset.
I emailed them and they said I needed the new primer arm. But I am thinking that this ram was mis machined. Am I out in left field? Take a look at the pictures, and advise. Thanks.

Old April 15, 2008, 08:12 PM   #2
JDG

Email these pics to Lee. They will see the issue and send you a new ram.
Old April 15, 2008, 08:20 PM   #3
rickomatic

I emailed them again just a little while ago with the pics this time. We shall see.
Old April 15, 2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Phil_A

I see a new style ram with the old original primer arm in the base. The new lever priming arms fits into the ram slot and the original primer arm in the base is no longer used.

There are two lever priming arms that should have come with the new ram. One for large primers and one for small primers. It is normal for the slot in the new ram to be offset and not positioned in the center.

The new lever primer arms work much better especially when used with the safety primer option that dispenses the primers into the primer cup. - Phil
Old April 15, 2008, 09:26 PM   #5
rickomatic

That's what they told me. I just thought it was strange that all their pictures did not show the offset.
I ordered one each of the new style large and small primer arms.
Old April 16, 2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Leeman

You should have received the primer arms with the press if you bought it new. The new primer arm works with the Safety Prime. Check the Lee website. http://www.leeprecision.com
Old April 16, 2008, 12:14 PM   #7
rwilson452

Yep, the old style primer arm will not work with the new style ram or the new turret press. When you get the new ones you can see the difference. I would note the new primer arms work in any of the presses that use the arm.
Old April 16, 2008, 07:20 PM   #8
rickomatic

Thanks for the replies, guys. I sent the pictures to Lee and they did in fact say that it was properly machined. I ordered two of the new style primer arms. I can still use my Auto Prime hand tool and then set up the other dies until the new primer arms arrive.
I might email them again and tell them that they should mention the fact that new style primer arms are needed in addition to the new ram when updating an old press.
Old April 16, 2008, 07:28 PM   #9
totalloser

I don't think it's mismachined. Mine looks JUST LIKE THAT. It works fine. I don't know if it is the "new" or "old" style, but I bought it about 6 months ago, and it came with the auto index, though I don't use the index feature. It has the slot cut at 7 o'clock, not 6. The priming arm sits in the ram, not in the frame, on mine, and travels with the ram. It still has that slot, where you have your priming arm, I just never noticed that it sort of fit an arm. I will post a pic in a minute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4160009.JPG (179.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P4160011.JPG (168.0 KB, 24 views)