The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2008, 07:05 PM   #1
herbie53

Reloading in Germany

I may have the opportunity later this year to move to Germany (US Government). Does anyone have any info on what it takes to reload ammunition (or if its even possible) over there? I recall that there is a lot of regulation for some aspects of it (blackpowder requires special class and license) and suspect this could be a problem even with smokeless powder. I would be looking at .45 Auto, .357 mag, .308 Winchester

Thanks
Old April 14, 2008, 09:12 PM   #2
dmickey

Some time back I had communications with someone in Germany. He stated that reloading/handloading was absolutey not allowed in Germany! Sorry!
Old April 15, 2008, 02:44 PM   #3
UniversalFrost

i just got back from Germany (stationed there for 5 years).

you could reload, but all the reloading supplies, powder, brass, primers, bullets have to be purchased from the MWR run sportsmans center/gun range.

Not all posts have a range, so depending on where you are stationed you may not be able to reload.

Also, ammo on the german economy is expensive and if I remember right you have to have a permit to buy it. I personally lived about 2 blocks from an indoor shooting (pistol small bore) range and became a member (lots of paperwork, classes, etc...) and got ammo at a discounted price, but had to keep it there and also the guns (bought a P22 and a PPK while there and sold them when I left).

let me know where you may be going and I might be able to give you some POC's for that area (both German and American ranges and clubs). Also, if you want to hunt, it is possible, but again, money and time and classes and paperwork, but worth it. Also, if you go to switzerland on vacation (you must do this) you can join a club there and then purchase (more like lease) a nice auto toy for not much $$ that you keep at the club and shoot (lots of brits do this).

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green