The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 6, 2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Dabull

CZ-82 Recoil Spring - 16 or 18# ?

Has anybody replaced the recoil spring on their milsurp CZ-82? I know I want a stiffer one, but not sure if the 18# will be too stiff for 95 gr Barnaul, Wolf, or Silver Bear. What are your experiences with the 16# or 18#, especially in regards to shooting 95 gr ammo?
Old April 6, 2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Boris Bush

OK I'll bite

I just kept the one that came with it in it. It had maybe 200 rounds through it when I got it and empties did not eject into the next county. They only eject a little farther than my CZ-75 does its 9x19mm cases.

Unless the spring is worn out I would not change it. If you do change it you might want to change the mag springs to +10% or you might have feeding problems..........
Old April 6, 2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Dabull

No ejection problems, just some painful jolts to the web of my shooting hand and a stinging trigger slap. This was experienced by three shooters with hand sizes ranging from small to med large.

I guess I'll have to deal with the mag springs if the problem materializes. At the moment, the mag springs are pretty strong (hard to load).
Old April 6, 2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Boris Bush

The recoil you described will not be fixed by a more powerful spring, the guns just recoil that way. The only way a stronger spring would reduce recoil would have to be so strong to not allow the slide to go all the way back. You will fix the jolt of the blowback system, but you will have a payoff of now owning a jamming pistol or one that just pushes the old case back in because there is not enough recoil to go far enough back and strip a new round from the mag...........
Old April 6, 2008, 04:17 PM   #5
Dabull

I believe the stinging is caused by recoil which vibrates the pistol when the slide slams full back then full forward. The vibration when full back opens the little gap between the safety and the backstrap which pinches the web of the hand. The vibration when full forward occasionally opens the gap between where the trigger guard joins the front strap to pinch the side of my middle finger. Not sure how all this causes trigger slap. You don't think a stronger recoil spring would stop this?