The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 27, 2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Dusty Rivers

Pimp my Ruger GP100

I bought a used GP 100. It is in excellent shape. Came with Hogue grip.
It has a white outline rear sight and plain front blade sight. No manuals came with it. I read something about a trigger job you could do by changing springs. I also was considering some kind of high visability front site. Any recommendations? Where can I get the spring? What kind of improvement can I expect? How do you change the front blade? IF you look down the barrel ( check to see if empty first) there appears to be a pin that is associated with the front blade sight. Any instructins?

What other ideas have people tried on their GP100 to pimp it out?
Old March 27, 2008, 08:42 PM   #2
herbie1

lots of good ruger info on www.rugerforum.com.

Search for the GP100 'Book of Knowledge' also known as the 'IBOK'
Old March 27, 2008, 08:42 PM   #3
somerled

You can obtain a manual from Ruger. Some manufacturers even allow one to download manuals from their websites.

Most of what is available to tune or modify a GP100 can be found at [url]www.brownells.com : sights, grips, Wolff springs, a Ruger revolver shop manual, and tools.
Old March 27, 2008, 11:31 PM   #4
GP100man

parts

dusty rivers
congratulations on purchace of the tuffest production revolver ever built!!!
it can be smoothed up & litened to a degree, go to the ruger forum & ask for a copy of IBOK ,ain`t gonna say no more except i settled on a 10# trigger & a12# hammer spring& brownell`s or midway sells the springs & millet sights, my old eyes like orange these days.tell em i sent ya !! on second thought maybe not LOL!!!

GP100man##
Old March 28, 2008, 03:07 AM   #5
bds32

Millet makes an orange front sight that is very bright. Brownell's sells them.
Old March 28, 2008, 08:33 AM   #6
john in jax

FRONT SIGHT: I got the Williams Firesights (fiber optic front and rear), but was disappointed in the small dia. light pipe they used in the front so I drilled it out just a little to accept a fatter and brighter EGW "big dot" light pipe and I love it now.

SPRING KITS: Wolff will sell and deliver an multi-spring pack to you for around $15. Use the link below to go to the GP100 Shooter's Pak
http://gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

Installation is quick and easy, it can really improve the double action pull.
Old March 28, 2008, 11:26 AM   #7
.45 Vet

lots of good ruger info on www.rugerforum.com.

Search for the GP100 'Book of Knowledge' also known as the 'IBOK'

+1 A member created this (IBOK) and is offered freely to forum members who request it. Full of tips/tricks and worth it's weight in data CD's...
Old March 28, 2008, 02:53 PM   #8
somerled

"Pimp my Ruger GP100"

Pearl grips, gold-plated lanyard ring, gold-plated lanyard chain, filed-off serial, gold-plated trigger, gold front bead, and gold-filled "Before using this gun-read warnings in instruction manual available from Sturm Ruger & Co. Inc., Southport, Conn U.S.A.
Old March 28, 2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Murdock

Ahhhggg!

Quote:
Pearl grips, gold-plated lanyard ring, gold-plated lanyard chain, filed-off serial, gold-plated trigger, gold front bead, and gold-filled "Before using this gun-read warnings in instruction manual available from Sturm Ruger & Co. Inc., Southport, Conn U.S.A.
I sprayed my coffee out of my nose and all over my screen!
Old March 28, 2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Master Blaster

Buy 10 Boxes of .38 special and 10 boxes of .357 magnum rounds.

Get a cleaning brush and some patches.

Buy a bunch of targets.

Go shoot it.
Old March 29, 2008, 03:15 AM   #11
chris in va

Pimp it? Polish it to a high gloss.
Old March 29, 2008, 04:49 AM   #12
chriswolfe68

I have had a couple of them now. I put a Ruger red front sight on both. I also put the Hogue fingergroove grip on one.
Old March 29, 2008, 05:41 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I put a Ruger red front sight on both.
My buddy bought a GP and replaced the stock front sight with a red one from Ruger. It makes all the difference in the world and its a very simple process you can do yourself. Go to Ruger.com and look under accessories.
Old March 30, 2008, 08:14 PM   #14
YukonKid

+1 to Master Blaster.

You have a very tough, durable revolver. It needs nothing, but a trigger job might be nice. I like stag grips. I also like nice leather, it makes the gun look better.

Just my $.02

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old March 30, 2008, 08:20 PM   #15
rantingredneck

"41 Magnum" over on rugerforum.net makes some nice exotic wood insert panels for the stock factory grip.

I have cocobolo panels for both my GP and SP from him. Great work and pricing.
Old March 30, 2008, 11:34 PM   #16
Sgt.Fathead

I have two of the KGP-141 (GP100 .357 Magnum, 4" SS, lug barrel) and have done no such pimping to them. The idea of pimping anything is frankly disgusting to me. according to dictionary.com, pimping is "1) petty, insignificant, trivial, 2) puny, weak, sickly" and pimp is "1) to serve as a procurer for prostitutes".

I'm no stick in the mud, I know what you meant. I also know that it means, truly, style over function, a slick appearance that doesn't always bely great performance. My (2) GPs wear the Hogue rubber grips, finger groove style, and replacement front sights, one the red ramp, the other the pale blue plastic model from the Ruger four pack. As far as a trigger job goes, or new springs, I chose the old fashioned method; I fire both regularly with a mixed diet of .38 Special and .357 Magnum rounds, various weights and styles, lead and jacketed, ball and HP.

Got a Simply Rugged for one and a Blade Tech for the other, holster wise. Still experimenting with various speedloaders, too. Good luck with that. Me, I put my money in lots of ammo and practice.