The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 27, 2008, 08:12 PM   #1
berkmberk1

Any 19th century rifles in .45 Colt?

Is anyone aware of any rifles made in the .45 Colt chambering in the 19th century. I've been checking my references and haven't come up with any so far. I know Winchesters are out...at least factory models..........any custom conversions?
Old March 27, 2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Not that I ever heard of, in a production model at least.

Who knows how somebody may have kluged one up. I know there have been a lot of Model 92 Winchesters converted to .357 and .44; but I don't know if there is enough room for .45 Colt in a real Winchester. There are certainly modern clones.
Old March 27, 2008, 08:39 PM   #3
nate45

I thought the Colt Lightning Rifle was made in .45 Colt until I looked it up'

I guess though they didn't only .44-40. I thought since the new ones were chambered in .45 Colt the originals were too.
Old March 27, 2008, 08:57 PM   #4
berkmberk1

you would think that in the later years, after it had been out a while, someone would have built, or converted a single shot at least........it would be the big brother of the .22 Boy's rifle of the rolling block type. It would make a heck of a plinker! Sort of like a 1/2 scale Trapdoor carbine.
Old March 27, 2008, 09:54 PM   #5
CraigC

Nope, no long guns in .45Colt until more recent years. Originally, the .45Colt case head had a tiny little rim. Not a big deal with today's brass but enough to keep an extractor from grabbing it back in the days of folded head brass. The .38 and .44 WCF's, while very similar dimensionally, had a much larger rim which remains to this day. I don't think the .45Colt's rim grew much with modern drawn brass, they're just cut square and have an extractor groove. The WCF's still sport larger rims.

Far as I know, the modern replicas of the 1892 are dimensionally the same. I don't believe they even beefed it up for the .454 Puma. We expected them to, but they didn't.