The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 22, 2008, 01:21 PM   #26
yourotherleft

Thanks scrat...you're not helping my headache at all

I don't think I'll be shooting bp right now... not sure in the future though
If that's the case will staight cases be ok? I heard that in pump lightning rifle, 44-40 (compare to 45Colt ) will feed better into the chamber due to bottleneck. Have anyone experience this? If so, does this problem exist in lever 1873 and 1892 as well?

To me, it's more like staying original (44wcf) vs convinience (45colt). Keeping the same caliber for rifles and pistols will surely save some headaches. But is it common for some cowboys to shoot 45 in pistols, 44wcf in rifles?

I will not be shooting a lot though... maybe twice a month. That's not much isn't it?
Old March 22, 2008, 03:57 PM   #27
Hawg

I've never handled a pump action rifle but enough people use them in .45 they must be fairly reliable. Same with .45 levers. I really don't think the bottlenecks feed any more reliably than straight cases. Yes some folks do use .45 pistols and 44-40 rifles. In the old days they had no choice as the rifles were never chambered for .45's. You'll shoot maybe 100-120 rifle/pistol rounds per match and a box of shotgun shells depending on how many stages the match runs.
Old March 23, 2008, 03:07 AM   #28
yourotherleft

Hawg, thanks a lot for the help. I think I made up my mine and stick with 45lc. ..for now. Hope it won't change again in the morning