The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 14, 2008, 03:54 PM   #1
highstick

Plus P 38 Ammo and Ruger Revolvers

I have a Ruger Speed Six 38 in stainless and also a Ruger Security Six 357 Mag in stainless. Does anyone know if it is safe to fire the newer 38 Plus P ammo in both of these revolvers? I looked on the Ruger website, but could not find a definitive answer.
Old March 14, 2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I'm not sure about the single six, but it is certainly safe to shoot .38 spl +P in any .357.
Old March 14, 2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Slopemeno

The Speed Six and Security Six are some of the toughest DA .357's out there.
The .38 Special versions were identical to the .357 other than chamber and markings. Great gun- I've owned on for about 25 years, and it's been a geat value.
Old March 14, 2008, 04:04 PM   #4
highstick

Thanks

I've had the 357 for over 25 years and the 38 for about 20. The 357 was new when I bought it and they are definitely tough quality guns. I just bought a little S&W Model 642 for concealed purposes and bought some Plus P with it, but wasn't sure about shooting it in the older Rugers.
Old March 14, 2008, 04:41 PM   #5
funon1

I can assure you if the .357 is in good working order

it is safe to fire any Saammi spec .38 Spl +p in it as they run about half the pressure of the hottest .357 Magnum, if memory serves. I, personally would not hesitate to shoot Saammi spec .38 +p in any Ruger .38 of modern design and in good condition, but I do not know the company's official position. I do know that I have fired .38 +p+ extensively in an sp101 (rated for .38+p ) and never had any problem or even excess wear.

Good luck and let us know the official answer would ya please.

funon1
Old March 14, 2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Tom2

Out of any brand of .38, I think most folks would be the least concerned about the Rugers holding up. I had an SP101 once also, and I do recall it was OK for +P so the larger frame guns will probably be the happiest of any 38 out there to gobble up the rounds with no appreciable wear and tear. That is factory loads. If you get the factory manuals and go whipping up your own +P loads or recipes, who knows.....
Old March 14, 2008, 05:19 PM   #7
B.N.Real

Ruger means Rugged.

Of all the revolver manufacturers out there,Ruger,with all factory loads should be the last manufacturer you have to worry about.

They always design their revolvers with strength and therefore they are usually not the lightest guns out there.

But what great revolvers.
Old March 16, 2008, 07:09 PM   #8
highstick

Bill Ruger

Just read on another thread here that Bill Ruger said it was "ok". Must be ok if he'd stick his neck out.
Old March 16, 2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Jim March

All 357Mag guns can fire 38+P. Period, end of discussion, unless there's something seriously wrong with a given specimen. 38+P is still less than half the power of 357 ammo.

Next, it's likely the Ruger 38 was produced for overseas or police/security contract use for situations where they can't use 357 ammo by law. In a number of countries it's considered "too hot for civilians". Some private security companies mandate 38-only for insurance reasons.

That Ruger 38 was designed as a 357 and hence 38+P is NOT going to stress it at all. The term I'd use is "unlimited diet is OK" and it's not impossible that it's safe to ream the cylinder deeper and convert it to full-on 357. I'm saying "possible" - for confirmation I'd talk to a gunsmith familiar with Ruger heat-treat practices of that period, m'kay? But 38+P? Even if the 38 cylinder heat-treat is a bit milder, no problem at all. The barrel and frame will be the same as it's 357 cousins and over time those are what take the beating from hot ammo (so long as the ammo isn't so hot it kabooms the cylinder of course!!!).
Old March 16, 2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Webleymkv

I would not hesitate to fire the hottest .38 ammo in a Security Six so long as the gun is in good conditions and that includes the hot +P+ Police only ammo that shows up occasionally.