The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2007, 04:36 PM   #1
billindenver

case volume - Compressed loads

Ok, so how much compression is safe? Any chance of the primer going off while I squeeze 63gr of RL19 into a 30-06 case? Don't get me wrong, I think it's very cool listening to that gunpowder crack and pop while I shove a long Barnes bullet in...but there is a bit of pucker factor I must admit. So..um...is it safe to stuff it in there, and if so...how much stuffin is ok? The 63gr load comes about 1/8" from the top of the case...then a 168gr barnes TSX is shoved in there and things get kinda...cramped.
Old December 30, 2007, 08:51 PM   #2
steve4102

Is there a chance it will go off while seating the bullet? No.

Is it a safe load? Duno, did you work up to this load checking for signs of high pressure along the way?

I have no problem with heavily compressed loads, others may disagree.

Check this out.
http://www.accuratereloading.com/76239.html
Old December 30, 2007, 11:39 PM   #3
billindenver

That load is part of the work up. Barnes says the TSX will max out a grain or two above the max load for the previous bullets whose max load is 62 grains. So, I started at 60 and loaded 5 rounds of each half grain up to 63. I'll look for pressure signs along the way up. Have to say it makes me a bit nervous, as this is the first load I've worked without a set in stone stopping point. I really wish Barnes had that new book out. Any advice on what to keep an eye on would surely not go unappreciated.
Old January 2, 2008, 06:46 PM   #4
billindenver

Ok, so I decided not to fire the compressed loads over the holiday until I spoke to Barnes today. Very glad I did. They said the new loading info for the 168gr TSX 30-06 round is max of 60.5grains of RL19. I asked him why their website said the TSX max would be 1 to 2 grains OVER the max listed for the XLC bullet which is 62 grains. He said, yeah...strange huh? It normally is, but not on this one.

I'm going to hold off on these bullets until I get some more info...this just doesn't sound right.
Old January 2, 2008, 06:55 PM   #5
billindenver

Ok, after another conversation with barnes....60.5 max of RL-19 it is. Their website says 1 to 2 grains over the X bullet..not the XLC which is what is in my manual. Glad I checked prior to playing..though with anything resembling decent luck I would have seen pressure signs while working upwards. Still, I just don't have enough experience with reloading to feel warm and fuzzy about experimenting with how far is too far.
Old January 13, 2008, 04:25 PM   #6
SST

For loads that call for compressed charges, just make sure that you are doing everything you can to tightly load the powder into the case by using a drop tube or swirling the powder down the funnel to "stack" it properly. There is a point where you can get too much powder in the case. On a compressed load, measure the overall cartridge length, and measure it again the next day. If the cartridge grows, you have too much powder for the neck tension to hold the bullet in place. If it is a safe load, crimping may help. Also, powder can be compressed to the point that it crushes or breaks, changing the shape of the individual pieces of powder. That also changes its burning rate, so be careful.
http://angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom
Old January 13, 2008, 09:11 PM   #7
thebees

Max Loads

I guess i'm getting in the habit of jumping in shooting off my mouth . BUT, it scares hell out of me for inexperienced re-loaders to be up in the stratosphere of max loads
Every loading manual I've ever seen (a lot) says to not take any recomendations but to start low and work your way up with YOUR loading tools and YOUR rifle. YOUR results and Your rifle will be different than anyone elses.
I gotta quit this.
Beesley
Old January 13, 2008, 10:10 PM   #8
SST

Sometimes compressed loads are not at maximum pressure. You simply cannot get any more powder in the case.
http://angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom
Old January 13, 2008, 10:44 PM   #9
Scorch

Funny (in a scary sort of way) that this reloader thinks working up a load means picking a number and start loading. I checked 168 gr boat tails in 30-06 in the Lyman manual (60.9 gr of Reloder 19). Picking a max load and adding more powder sounds like a bad idea. No wonder the powder was crunching!
Quote:
Still, I just don't have enough experience with reloading to feel warm and fuzzy about experimenting with how far is too far.
Then play it safe and only use published load data. That way you'll gain good experience.

BTW, ball powders don't compress very well at all.
Taylor Machine