The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2008, 04:52 PM   #1
KFDiesel

tumbler media and clean brass

Im using Lyman tufnut tumbler media with rouge. It is walnut shells that are reddish brown. After the brass is clean and I wipe off it, the inside is still "dusty" with brownish powder. How much attension do I need to pay to getting all this out. I know I will get all pieces of shell out but how important is the powder? and do corn or plain walnut shelll media give this dusty problem? Why is it even on the stuff?
Thanks
Kirk
Old January 10, 2008, 05:16 PM   #2
zxcvbob

I have a jug of Tufnut and use it sometimes. I dilute it about 50% with untreated crushed corn cob (from the pet store) and it cuts way down on the mess.

The dust is mostly red rouge. It won't hurt anything.
Old January 10, 2008, 09:15 PM   #3
The Lovemaster

corn cob

Hey is the corn media you get at the pet store fine ground? If so, what pet store is it? Petsmart here only has the coarse stuff, but they do have fine ground walnut that works great, but obviously it doesn't give the good gloss like corn.

Also, for the OP, I've heard the Lyman green stuff is fabulous.
Old January 10, 2008, 09:36 PM   #4
zxcvbob

I got it a Walmart in the pet dept. I'd say it is ground medium, or medium-fine. It works fine for pistol cartridges, but I think it would lodge in bottleneck rifle brass.