The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 20, 2007, 05:09 PM   #1
mako8551

Handgun laws in North Carolina

Might be moving to NC for work and i am interested in just a broad overview of the gun laws there.

Is registration required for handguns?

what about shotguns and rifles?

Is there a waiting period?

Thanks guys.
Old December 20, 2007, 05:18 PM   #2
JBriggs

No waiting period, except for the time it takes for the Sheriff (of the county in which you intend to live) to issue either your gun permits or concealed carry permit.

If you go the permit route, go to your local Sheriff's office and pick up an application. You will have to do this in person and show a valid state ID to get one. You will have to have been a resident of the county in which you apply for the permit for at least 30 days. Your state ID card will have to show an address located in that particular county. There is no fee to apply for the permits, but you will have to pay a fee for each permit to be issued at the time you pick them up. Let them know at the time of application how many permits you want. There is limit of 10 per year. The process usually takes around 30 days or so. Once you get the permits, go pistol shopping. When you find a pistol you like, you will have to give one of your permits to the dealer.

Permits are only needed for pistols, not rifles or shotguns.

As to concealed carry, North Carolina is a "shall issue" state. That means that if you pass all of the requirements for the CCW, the Sheriff "shall" issue the CCW. This entails an application and waivers for release of mental health records, if any, and a SBI background check. You will have to pay the non-refundable application fee up front at the time you apply. The process generally takes about 60 days.
Old December 20, 2007, 05:23 PM   #3
TTTTglock

I was just talking about this in another thread, but NC is my permanent residency and I'm decently familiar with their laws.

For handgun purchase, a permit is required. You go to the local sheriffs office, fill out an application (which varies by county) and wait between 1-4 weeks for them to process it. Then you'll go back and pick them up. I believe that they start you with 3. After that you can pick them up at like 5 dollars a pop as needed without reapplying for a certain number of years. The reason I noted that it varies by county is just because as the application is bigger, it takes longer for them to process it, and you must get it from your county of residency. For instance, the New Hanover Co. app. is like 5 pages long and requires three full references not related to you etc. The county I get mine from was about half a sheet a paper that pretty much just asked why I want it, circle one. Additionally, the waiting period is considered waiting for your first permits, as too how many per month limit, I don't know the answer.

For long guns it's a simple background check, the waiting period is waiting for the guy to get off the phone .
Old December 20, 2007, 05:24 PM   #4
TTTTglock

Ha, JBriggs had me beat
Old December 20, 2007, 05:25 PM   #5
tony pasley

JBriggs had it pretty close, left out the fact county to county it differs. Haywood county where I live, to get a purchase premit you go to the S.D.show proper I.D. pay $5.00 the run a check on you and if approved you walk out with the premit or premits you ask for. Bumcombe county it takes 5 business days to get your premit. C.C.W. no purchase permit needed.
Old December 20, 2007, 05:25 PM   #6
hoytinak

I know Cumberland County only takes 2-3 days for the application process for your pistol permits. There is no limit on the number of permits you can get in a year but you can only get 5 permits at a time, then you have to go through the application process again. Each permit cost $5 and is good for 5 years.

No permits for shotguns and rifles just a quick phone call.
Old December 20, 2007, 05:28 PM   #7
JBriggs

Hoytinak. You are right about Cumberland COunty in most cases. Sometimes they do get jammed up with applications and it can get slow. Former Army?
Old December 20, 2007, 05:30 PM   #8
hoytinak

current military, just home on leave right now
Old December 20, 2007, 05:34 PM   #9
DMK

Quote:
No waiting period, except for the time it takes for the Sheriff (of the county in which you intend to live) to issue either your gun permits or concealed carry permit.

If you go the permit route, go to your local Sheriff's office and pick up an application. You will have to do this in person and show a valid state ID to get one. You will have to have been a resident of the county in which you apply for the permit for at least 30 days. Your state ID card will have to show an address located in that particular county. There is no fee to apply for the permits, but you will have to pay a fee for each permit to be issued at the time you pick them up. Let them know at the time of application how many permits you want. There is limit of 10 per year. The process usually takes around 30 days or so. Once you get the permits, go pistol shopping. When you find a pistol you like, you will have to give one of your permits to the dealer.
I'll just add that if you get your NC Concealed Carry Permit and keep it current, you won't need a Handgun Permit ever again. Just pick out the handgun you want, plunk down the cash, hand the dealer your CCL and driver's licence, fill out the federal 4473 form and you are on your way with your new gun.
Old December 20, 2007, 05:42 PM   #10
TTTTglock

BTW mako, hope you come! NC is a magnificent state

[IMG][/IMG]
Old December 20, 2007, 07:29 PM   #11
mako8551

thanks guys!! good info.

thanks
Old December 21, 2007, 04:31 PM   #12
hot sauce

What city are you planning on working in NC? Living in SC and working in NC is the way to go. I live in SC and our taxes are way lower but wages are higher in NC. NC has those BS car inspections while SC doesnt. SC has no waiting period or limit on guns and we also do not have to get a BS buyer's permit from our sheriff.

P.S. FYI, Most people cannot drive in SC/NC. For some reason people think they own the road and like to change lanes without looking. So, be prepared to see a lot of wrecks and wear your seatbelt.
Old December 21, 2007, 08:52 PM   #13
nutty ned

Unconcealed no problem, just bring them and come on.
Also, read here http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf
Old December 22, 2007, 09:09 AM   #14
jad0110

As others have indicated, NC is a little different than most states. Overall, I'd say NC is fairly gun friendly, but it varies widely based on the county.

Here in Craven county, you can get pistol purchase permits within minutes of walking into the Sherrif's office, and it takes about 1 to 2 weeks to process a CCW permit (and a CCW takes the place of pistol permits). On the other hand, I know our Carteret county neighbors take as long as 60 to 90 days to process a CCW.

Overall, most counties east of I-95 and in the mountains are very gun friendly. Some of the counties in the central part of the state are not so friendly. Durham NC is about as un-gun friendly as you can get in NC. Every few years, they try to pass a bill banning handgun (like D.C.) ownership within city limits .

Also, our concealed carry laws are a little ridiculous. We are a shall issue state, which is good, but some of the restrictions on where we can carry are just plain asinine. Like most states, we cannot carry concealed when on state or federal property and ANY educational property (private or public). We also cannot CCW while consuming alcohol. But we also cannot carry into an establishment that serves alcohol (like Applebees), even if we don't drink ! We also can't carry into an establishment that charges admission (movie theaters, fairs, sporting events) or places of public gathering (parades, funerals, other community events). Heck, gun shows charge admission, so I guess CCW isn't allowed there either.

What state are you moving from? We could at least give you a simple "it will be better or worse in NC" summary. For example, moving from an Eastern Bloc state (Mass, Conneticut, NY), Illinois or Commifornia would be an improvement, but you'd be giving up some RKBA freedoms by moving from Utah, Florida, Texas, Virginia and Alabama.

Overall, I would call NC a "free state".
Old December 22, 2007, 09:18 AM   #15
jad0110

You could also go the the Brady Bunch's website and look up their state ratings. The worse the score, the better . A Brady Bunch "F" grade would translate to "Fantastic" for RKBA and an "A" would stand for "asinine" or "anti-gun".

I'd look myself, but don't feel like getting my blood pressure up or vomiting :barf: this morning.
Old December 22, 2007, 09:46 AM   #16
NetJnkie

Speaking of Durham... It's also the only county that requires registration of handguns. I'm not sure how much luck they had with that after it passed, but it did pass a while back.