The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2007, 08:02 PM   #1
odsixer

Too much freebore?

I currently load my 22-250 .030" off the lands and the accuracy is great but the problem is the cartridge oal is too long to fit into the magazine well(floor plate ruger m77). I'm working up a new load using 55gr vmax and I want to seat the bullet deep enough to fit the rounds in to the mag. To do this I need to be .095" off the lands. Is this a lot?
Will this totally screw up my accuracy? any experience with this would be appreciated.
Old December 10, 2007, 11:55 PM   #2
odsixer

bump
Old December 11, 2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Wildalaska

Quote:
Will this totally screw up my accuracy? any experience with this would be appreciated.
Try it........

WildthatwilltellyouAlaska TM
Old December 11, 2007, 01:36 AM   #4
mc223

The V-Max bullets are tolerant of some jump in some rifles. Might work.
Old December 11, 2007, 11:50 PM   #5
imdarren

From my experience, and others I have noted here, state that your best accuracy will come from a good proven load (powder amount with good components) first. The freebore or bullet jump amount is usually just a method to "fine tune" your load.
Bottom line, try a few popular / proven loads and load them as long as you can and still fit in your magazine. You will probably still have good results.

Otherwise, load em' long, and use the rifle as a single shot.
Old December 12, 2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Scorch

Rugers are notorious for long freebores. I heard a story once that Bill Ruger set up all his production lines with long freebore reamers because he did not want anyone blowing up a Ruger rifle by seating a bullet against the rifling. Don't know how true it is, but it does seem that Ruger rifles are set up that way. When I was gunsmithing, we used to accurize a lot of Ruger rifles, and the first step was to set the barrel back one full turn and recut the chamber. If you looked at the barrel, it looked factory original. If you measured the barrel, it would be about 1/16" short, not enough to notice. But it made a remarkable difference in accuracy. If you need to set your rifle up to feed out of the magazine and you still want top accuracy, talk to your gunsmith about setting the barrel back one turn.
Taylor Machine
Old December 12, 2007, 09:53 PM   #7
odsixer

Thanks guy's, I'll try it with the jump and if accuracy sucks maybe I'll get a smith to take a bit off. While I have the gun in is there anything else you would recommend to improve accuracy? I bought the gun used and the trigger seems very crisp, I think it's had some work done to it, also the firing pin does not strike in the center of the primer, does this matter?
Old December 12, 2007, 10:15 PM   #8
mrawesome22

If you do end up taking it to the smith, I'd have him go ahead and cut the chamber to 22-250AI while he's at it.
Old December 13, 2007, 08:36 AM   #9
steve4102

There is usually more than one sweet spot for OAL. Load your rounds to fit the mag and work backwards. You may find a sweet spot that works very well and fits in the mag.

Here is a test from Barnes. It shows that a round can have more than one sweet spot.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/resourc...rnes-bullet-n/
Old December 13, 2007, 03:31 PM   #10
odsixer

Interesting article Steve, worth a try.