The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1
VAHunter

Tumbler media...corn? walnut?

My first load of Tufnut seems to have lost its mojo. I need to buy more but wanted some feedback. I like bright shiny cases and want to do as little wiping up of both the cases and the area around my tumbler after running it.

Any suggestions? The Tufnut did a good job of keeping things clean but...there was still a bit of residue after tumbling. I usu would tumble for about an hour. A white rag would show both dark powder residue and reddish stuff from the tufnut. Not sure if that's just 'cause it's old and dusty from lots of tumbling. Or just cause I'm too anal about the dust.
Old December 10, 2007, 12:57 PM   #2
arkie2

I use a combination. One note of caution. If you have walnut media and squirrels around and leave the garage door open the little rascals will "check it out". Since then I keep all my media in a plastic container!

I think you're being a little exacting if you require your cases to be perfect. In my experience, they are never completely bright and shiny. I settle for seviceable. Some here have recommended adding a liquid polish compound to the mix for perfect cases but since I'm a 75% kind of guy (The first 75% of results can be obtained with 25% of the labor required to obtain perfection) I don't know what to recommend in that area.

Edit: I meant to add that I get my media at pet stores for quite a discount from what you'll pay if you buy it at a gun store that carries reloading equipment.

Last edited by arkie2; December 10, 2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old December 10, 2007, 01:25 PM   #3
Shoney

Check out a feed store and you can buy them at a fraction of the cost.

You can get walnut in the form of parakeet or lizzard litter, and ground corn cob bedding. They come in amounts from 10 to 50lb sacks.

I use wallnut for cleaning very tarnished, cob to pollish, but mostly a 60/40 mix cob to walnut. I also add a tsp of liqid turtle wax or other silicone based polish that I buy at rubish sales for 25 cents or less.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 10, 2007, 01:37 PM   #4
fourrobert13

I use walnut litter I buy in bulk at Pets Mart. IMO the walnut cleans the cases better than corn, and it seems to last longer.
Old December 10, 2007, 03:01 PM   #5
mc223

I switched to very fine corn cob treated with Nu-Finish this year. This stuff is small enough to pass thru the flash hole.
Old December 10, 2007, 05:25 PM   #6
CrustyFN

I use walnut because it works faster. I add some Nu Finish car polish and a cut up paper towel and they come out shiny enough for me.
Rusty
Old December 10, 2007, 08:18 PM   #7
BigJimP

I use walnut hulls - I tumble them for 4 or 5 hours - and I use the Dillon polish but I'm not seeing any residue ( except inside the tumbler which I just wipe out once in a while ). If there is still residue on the cases after 1 hour - I'd suggest you tumble it longer.

I think the walnut hulls seem to clean a little faster than the corn cob media but I only tested the corn cob media one time and wasn't thrilled with it.
Old December 10, 2007, 08:44 PM   #8
CowTowner

I used a 50/50 mix of corn cob/walnut with a cap full of Nu Finish every other batch. Works great for me.
You can contact a local media blasting supply company and get the walnut even cheaper by the 50 pound sack.
Old December 10, 2007, 08:47 PM   #9
swmike

I find that walnut cleans more crud but leaves a slightly dull finish when compared with cases tumbled in corn cob. For a real bright, jewelry like shine I use the walnut first to clean and then corn cob to polish. About an hour in my RCBS Sidewinder on the 'nut shell'. Size, trim, clean pockets, etc, and then 2-3 hours in the cob with Dillon polish. To keep them that way I wear gloves so I don't end up with tarnish smudges on the cases from hand oils and salts.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old December 10, 2007, 10:35 PM   #10
chipperi

I am partial to walnut, however always tumble with fired primers still in as it will get stuck in the flash hole if you decap 1st.
Old December 11, 2007, 03:35 AM   #11
TWB

I like shiny, too. I use walnut and any major brand brass polish (Dillon's, Lyman, etc.) or Nu-Finish car polish...excellent and cheaper. The combination puts on a better shine if you add 91% rubbing alcohol. This cleans the inside of the case better, too. Lightly damp medium from the alcohol leaves no dust on the brass. Throw in some used fabric softener sheets or good quality paper towel shreds to help pick up dirt and walnut dust, and you have a winner. Periodically "renew" the polish as needed.

twb
Old December 11, 2007, 07:23 AM   #12
ShootingNut

Corn Man Here

Nothing (in my opinion) cleans better, shines casings better, than this product. Try it, I guarantee you will like it! Price is right also!
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...requestid=9190
Old December 11, 2007, 11:27 AM   #13
IHMSA Shooter

TWB,

How much rubbing alcohol are you adding to the media?
Old December 11, 2007, 01:53 PM   #14
CowTowner

Yes TWB,
How much? Inquiring minds really do want to know.
Old December 11, 2007, 09:54 PM   #15
Sport45

I use pet store walnut reptile litter with a tablespoon or so of Simple Green (no ammonia, I called to check) one time only. For subsequent batches I spray water in to rejuvinate the Simple Green. After a few months I'll toss it and start over. I'm looking for clean and really couldn't care less about shiny. I seem to be able to loose shiny brass just as easy as tarnished.
Old December 11, 2007, 11:59 PM   #16
imdarren

Like mentioned above, throw in 2 or 3 used fabric softner sheets every time you clean brass. This will remove nearly all the dust from your media, and you will see a BIG improvement.
If your real particular, keep cycling old sheets through til they start coming out much cleaner (like when cleaning your gun), you will be surprised.
Old December 12, 2007, 04:23 AM   #17
Silentarmy

As a reloader and brass dealer I polish over 500 pounds of brass each week and it is brighter than ANY new brass! I use a 75/25 mix of Fine Corn cob and Fine walnut both untreated. The walnut speeds the cleaning while the corncob brings an amazing shine. I add a polish produced by Berry's bullets called brass bright. This stuff works as well as Flitz which produces a truly blinding shine but at 1/3 the price. 1.5 hours and the brass is so clean inside and out that I have had customers tell me I could decap the brass and sell it as new! I can polish with no dust and when it begins to take more than 2 hours, I add a few capfuls of the polish and I am back in business. I have had a batch of media polish 80,000 cases before I had to finally throw it out as it had begun to break down to a powder and had so much brass dust in it that you could recycle it!
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"