The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2007, 09:42 PM   #1
IHMSA Shooter

Hornady One Shot Vs. Dillon Case Lube

I have been reloading metallic cartridges for about 15 years. I started out using an RCBS lube pad and lube. Then I graduated to Imperial Sizing Die Wax which I like a lot. What can become tedious is lubing each individual case and then cleaning each case off before proceeding with the loading process.

How do these spray on lubes work and what is your preference (brand wise)?
Old December 3, 2007, 09:47 PM   #2
hodaka

I've never stuck a case using the die wax but I have stuck numerous ones with the One Shot. Never tried the Dillon spray.
Old December 3, 2007, 11:59 PM   #3
Splat!!

They call it one shot......Because it only takes one shot to destroy your die.............I will gladly sell you my bottle of one shot......I only lubed 10 cases with it..............
Old December 4, 2007, 01:15 AM   #4
mc223

The Dillon spray works good, but you must shake it up before use. The link is for a cheap homemade version of the Dillon spray using Lanolin and alcohol. It works very good. I made up a pint in May of this year and have only used about half for a couple thousand rounds. Either way you will need to clean the lube off after sizing. I just toss em in the tumbler for half an hour.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing
Old December 4, 2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Travis Two

RCBS case slick is the best of the spray on lubes I've used. Requires the least amount of force to size rifle cases of any of the spray on lubes. I put the cases in a carboard box and give them a couple of spritzes while shaking them around. The lube migrates around the case.
Old December 4, 2007, 06:55 PM   #6
steelbuster

I use One Shot on all my IMHSA ammo, 30/30, 7BR, .357mag, .44mag and my hunting rounds, 7mmMag and 45/70. Love it and have had no problems at all. I stand the cases up and lightly spray at an angle so a little goes inside the neck, size, then tumble to clean. Easy to use and after thousands of rounds have never stuck a case.
Steelbuster
Old December 5, 2007, 09:27 PM   #7
Splat!!

Quote:
I use One Shot on all my IMHSA ammo, 30/30, 7BR, .357mag, .44mag and my hunting rounds, 7mmMag and 45/70. Love it and have had no problems at all
Got an address ...............I'll send you a Christmas present.
Old December 5, 2007, 10:20 PM   #8
steelbuster

Hey, I'm retired..I'll take anything thats free....

Really, I get low force sizing and no probs.....what can I say?
Old December 6, 2007, 01:50 AM   #9
Silentarmy

I use the Dillon case lube and it is slick! I put about 400 .223 cases in a gallon ziplock bag and spray about 5 pumps of the lube in with them. I knead the bag till I can see they all are slightly greasy and then pour it into the casefeeder on the 650. I can size and decap like you wouldn't believe and never stuck a case. I have a can of one sh#t under my bench. I have stuck 2 cases with that and only use it to shoot the pistol dies occasionally as i load and sizing gets stiff.
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old December 6, 2007, 06:53 PM   #10
BigJimP

I use the Dillon spray all the time.

I have a cardboard tray ( like the top of a box ) so it's about 2" deep and 11" X 17" or so. I lay the brass in the box - one layer deep - spritz the brass lightly / shake it and roll it around / spritz it again lilghtly / then let it dry for about 30 min and just run the brass thru my press.

I run the case lubed brass thru all 5 stations - I don't clean it again after resizing and depriming and I've never had a problem on a Dillon 650. I do wipe the finished rounds down before I box them up - but rolling the rounds under your palm on a terry cloth towel for a few seconds takes care of it.

I used the RCBS lube years ago - and it was much stickier and much heavier / not something I'd recommend these days.
Old December 6, 2007, 07:21 PM   #11
fourrobert13

I use One Shot exclusively. Never have I had a stuck case. The Dillon lube is good also. I used the Dillon lube until I came accross the One Shot cheaper and have been using it ever since.
Old December 7, 2007, 08:45 AM   #12
Thesenator

Dillon Spray Lube or home made version of it. "One Shot" will never enter my property again.
Old December 7, 2007, 04:19 PM   #13
IHMSA Shooter

Thanks for the responses. I am seeing a trend. Will the Dillon case lube adversely affect powder and primers?
Old December 7, 2007, 05:04 PM   #14
mc223

Should not be a problem. It is basically alcohol and lanolin. The alcohol will evaporate and there isn't very much lanolin left on the case.
Old December 7, 2007, 06:57 PM   #15
BigJimP

The Dillon lube hasn't affected detonation of a primer / powder burn on any case I've loaded in over 3 years .....
Old December 7, 2007, 07:48 PM   #16
clayking

I've used one shot for over two years, upward of 10,000 rounds with zero problems............................ck