The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Kyonic
Registration in progress

Help with single stage press

I need help find a really nice single stage press. I have a Dillon Square deal B that is way overkill for the amount that I shoot so I am wanting to downgrade to a single stage "the dillon is for sale if anyone is interested". I have a lee single stage that came with my aniv. kit but I dont like it very well it just feels to flemsy. I have been looking at the Lymann or Redding, RCBS has a really bad spent primer catch that I dont like. Do any of you have any suggestions? The Lymann that I am looking at is the Crusher 2 and the Redding is the Boss, I think.

Well let me know what you think.
Thanks
Old November 14, 2007, 06:05 PM   #2
angeldeville

I have an RCBS "partner" press and I love it, it was inexpensive and it does the job.

What are you asking for your Dillon?

I'm shooting more and need to upgrade....

What dies do you have for yours?

if interested in a partial trade I can include like dies....
Old November 14, 2007, 09:54 PM   #3
armedandsafe

I can't yet attest to the longevity of the Lyman, because I've had mine only since 1958. Works great, so far.

Almost any of the major manufacturers presses are very good, with only personal opinion and price making major differences. That is my opinion and worth about what you paid for it.

In the collection, my son and I have Lyman (2,) C&H (the O press,) a Dillon 500 and Ideal Tongs (5.) They all work very well. Over the years I have used the RCBS and Redding presses and found them to work well.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old November 14, 2007, 10:17 PM   #4
rwilson452

Look at the Lee Classic Cast. It's a real tough press. It handles spent primers very well. It will not feel flimsy. Oh and if you get one, don't drop it on your foot.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

If you're looking for one of the best single stage presses available, look at Forster's Co-Ax press. Snap-in/out die retention, automatic shell holder, flawless spent primer handling. Accuracy, rigidity and power, all in spades. The over-the top lever is more ergonomic for me too.

Another top performance press is the Redding Ultramag.

Andy
Old November 14, 2007, 10:33 PM   #6
williamd

I have had and have several single stage presses ... Lyman, RCBS, Pacific, .... All perform well and had absolutely no issue with any of them. Don't think you will go wrong with any known brand. I shoot quite a bit but like the single stage presses. Real easy to switch calibres. I visually check each load as I go. But, for shotshells I stick with progressive.
Old November 15, 2007, 07:51 AM   #7
45Marlin carbine

I bought the Lee 'annivesery kit', it's great for pistol rounds but I know what you mean by 'flimsy' but it does OK for '06 and 7.62X39's. I picked up a RCBS 'partner' at garage sale for 5$ and have it mounted alongside my Lee. really speed things up. something you might consider if you have room on your bench. set expander die in one and seater in next one. I de-prime/size then use a Lee hand primer, it's a good thing I beleive. then powder-thru expander and then to the seating die in other press.
Old November 15, 2007, 08:12 AM   #8
Leeman

Best Value Lee Classic Cast

The Lee Classic cast is strong enough for the 50 BMG. Largest opening, cast iron and steel, largest ram, captures every primer, balanced lever, and beautiful fit and finish. Cost a fraction of other brands.

Second choice Lee Breech Lock Challenger press for $50 less. There is nothing flimsy about this press. See below:

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar142.htm
Old November 15, 2007, 08:17 AM   #9
UGH

I know you said single stage but I have been using a Redding T7 turret for awhile and I was surprised by how beefy it is. Something to think about.
Old November 18, 2007, 11:11 AM   #10
flashhole

I've had RCBS, Forster Coax, and Redding. The only one(s) that survived the purge are the Redding Ultramags. The Forster Coax is a nice press but if you are loading large cases like 300 Win Mag you are hard pressed for room with the Coax. I got tired of pinching my fingers in it and sold it but if you are loading short cartridges it would also be a good choice. I have nothing but good things to say about the Ultramag. There are two on the bench and some day I will add a third or the Redding T7 Turret.
Old November 18, 2007, 12:14 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

I second BigJakeJ1s. The Forster/Bonanza Co-ax press not only has quick die change without having to readjust dies, but the intentional horizontal float of the die allows the cartridge case to find its own center in the die every time. It is why more winning rifle match ammunition is loaded on that press than on any other. Additionally, it has a primer insertion mechanism that is the only one I've seen that compels the primer to be a few thousandths below the face of the case head. Very positive ignition. Not nearly as fast as a progressive, but not as expensive as the Dillon, either, and distinctly faster and more convenient than a conventional O-press that isn't using Hornady Lock-N-Load dies. The Co-ax works with standard dies, except it requires round steel lock rings that Forster makes. I have also made RCBS aluminum lock rings work by turning a few thousandths off their face. Occasionally you get one that fits as is.
NRA Patron Member